Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I made a stupid mistake regarding the partition size

Beans

I made a stupid mistake regarding the partition size

So I am running dual boot with Windows 7 (I'm typing this using ubuntu) and for some reason I accidentally made my Windows 7 partition VERY SMALL. I was at the menu where you drag the two slides and I didn't know which one was which so I assumed that the right side was for Linux. So I dragged the line as far as I could to the left. WELL, it turns out that was for the Windows Partition and now I only have 10gb left of space for Windows and a whopping 641gb free for the Linux partition. I intended it to be the other way around, 641gb for Windows and 55 for Linux. I, unfortunately and blindly, made the mistake of not backing up a disk image file before I did this...So I'm not too happy about that. What can I do to reclaim my space???? I tried going into WIndows manager and trying to extend the Windows partition but I could only shrink the partition...I'm in Linux (brand spankin' new to this fresh OS) so I am completely lost on what to do. Could someone help me please?

Thanks, Scozzar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I made a stupid mistake regarding the partition size

Make the image of windows now, and boot a live ubuntu cd, and use gparted to resize the partitions.

You are better with the image of windows being as small as possible in my opinion.

I'm surprised it runs now honestly.

The windows partitioner will make it bigger if you have unallocated space I believe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unless you are using Windows 7 for gaming, I would suggest virtualizing Windows 7. Go to Ubuntu Software Center and download and install VirtualBox. Create a dynamic disk and install 7 then you have no need to dual boot and since the disk size is dynamic.... well there is always room to grow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If you didn't shrink the ubuntu partition(s) first, windows Disk Management can't expand the windows partition. In order to be able to expand it, you need to have unallocated space next to it.

You can shrink the ubuntu partitions from live mode, they have to be unmounted.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by QuiGonJinn130 View Post
    Unless you are using Windows 7 for gaming, I would suggest virtualizing Windows 7. Go to Ubuntu Software Center and download and install VirtualBox. Create a dynamic disk and install 7 then you have no need to dual boot and since the disk size is dynamic.... well there is always room to grow.
    I'm not sure it is legal to move a OEM to a virtual, and it probably would not activate as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    Make the image of windows now, and boot a live ubuntu cd, and use gparted to resize the partitions.

You are better with the image of windows being as small as possible in my opinion.

I'm surprised it runs now honestly.

The windows partitioner will make it bigger if you have unallocated space I believe.
    Okay so what program do I use to make an image of Windows?

Why is it better that Windows is as small as possible? I need it to be as big as possible! I am going to need it for college. Linux is just nice to have avaliable, or so I've heard for certain program my college uses...but it's mainly all WIndows. Why are you surprised it runs now?

If it makes it any easier, I would have no problem just deleting the Linux partitions and reallocating all the space back to WIndows. I haven't done anything except browse the internet with it so I wouldn't be losing anything,,,

You can shrink the ubuntu partitions from live mode, they have to be unmounted.
    So I just plug in the Live boot cd and it'll take me to gparted?

Btw, I'm not virtualizing Windows 7. It's too important and I really would have it at the mercy of the HDD than mercy of a program...The CD type I used for the live boot is a CD-R, so do I have to make another one or could I just re-use the same disk I used in the first place?

Thanks guys for the help so far! Hopefully this can be taken care of soon.

Thanks, Scozzar
    Last edited by Scozzar; June 8th, 2012 at 04:26 PM.

Beans

Boot the CD you already made in "Live" mode, and use GParted to shrink the Ubuntu partition(s) so you have some free space to expand the Windows partition.

Partition resizing is usually pretty safe, but I always recommend a full backup before proceeding, just in case.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Scozzar View Post
    Okay so what program do I use to make an image of Windows?

Why is it better that Windows is as small as possible? I need it to be as big as possible! I am going to need it for college. Linux is just nice to have avaliable, or so I've heard for certain program my college uses...but it's mainly all WIndows. Why are you surprised it runs now?

If it makes it any easier, I would have no problem just deleting the Linux partitions and reallocating all the space back to WIndows. I haven't done anything except browse the internet with it so I wouldn't be losing anything,,,

So I just plug in the Live boot cd and it'll take me to gparted?

Btw, I'm not virtualizing Windows 7. It's too important and I really would have it at the mercy of the HDD than mercy of a program...The CD type I used for the live boot is a CD-R, so do I have to make another one or could I just re-use the same disk I used in the first place?

Thanks guys for the help so far! Hopefully this can be taken care of soon.

Thanks, Scozzar
    A small image allows it to be put in a small place and resized bigger. Windows 7 below a pro version has a one time image allowance it seemed prudent to image it now before you expanded it. Make sure you have a recovery disc that is made in the same backup recovery area.

I am surprised it works as resizing a windows distro that much usually results in a bricked system when done from linux. There are immovable files in windows when moved can leave a bricked OS.

To be honest before you do this ever again do some research.

You used methods that no one would recommend, or at least not within a safe margin.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; June 8th, 2012 at 04:50 PM.

Beans

Yeah, I know, I'll do some more research next time. But this was all accidental in the first place so there wasn't much I could "prepare for."

So I'll do an image backup and more backup stuff to an external HDD here soon. If I don't respond, it's probably because I bricked Windows...BUT thanks for the advice so far

Scozzar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I was just logging on to ask a question that would keep me from doing the same thing. The installation wizard shows two partitions, but doesn't label either one, so I had no way of knowing which was windows and which was Ubuntu.

I'm glad I could learn from another's mistake, but sorry you had to go through all that trouble. I think the Ubuntu team should try to label the choices next time around.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast