Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Are Password Managers Really Worth It?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Are Password Managers Really Worth It?

Thanks for the reply @mastablasta.

In my system, keepassx import options are:

- KeepassX XML files
    - Kwallet XML files
    - PwManager files

Keepass2 export options in windows are:

- KDB (1.x)
    - KDBX (2.x)
    - Keepass XML (2.x)
    General options
    - Customizable HTML file
    - Transform using XSL stylesheet
    - Windows favorites (?)

So I think it's pretty clear there's no way I can transform the KDBX 2.x file to KeePassX format.

Beans
    Distro

OK, you were right, I have had to go to Windows, install Keepass 1.X, open the file with Keepass 2.X, export to 1.X format, open Keepass 1.x, import the file, and then on Ubuntu I can open again the file with KeePassX. Thank you all.

Beans

Just chose passwords that are easy to remember but hard to crack. Like a sentence with mixed up capitalazation and using symbols to replace letters occasionally. And use simple passwords for stuff you don't really care is hacked or nobody will bother hacking ( like this site for example). I have nothing to lose if somebody hacks this account really.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a little black book.

Actually, I have 2 little black books but one contains ids/passwords. Done it for years.

Beans

I also use KeepassX. I keep the database in Dropbox so it stays up to date, but keep a copy of the key file locally on my laptop and desktop at work. Seems to work pretty well.

Beans

For reasons already stated, I think it's crucial nowadays to use one.

I like LastPass because it basically just works as a browser addon, so it's OS agnostic. It does have OS-dependent executables, but really all they do is install the addon into each browser you have on your machine anyway. Since it's web-based, once you install it to a browser and sign in your up and running without having to sync or anything, although it does have a local password cache that it uses on the odd chance that the LastPass server goes down.

I don't know how it compares to any other managers to be honest, it was the first one I tried and I was happy with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It depends on how many passwords you are trying to remember. If it's few, you don't need a password manager but if it's over 10 and you can't remember them all, then get one.

I'm using KeepassX for over 3 years and it's reliable.
    advocating Free and Open Source Software, supporting the Open Web
    fight for your right to party and get your free cloud storage now

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    I just write them down on my hands. Then if I see a suspicious looking person I ball my hands into fists so they can't see them. This method is also convenient if I need to do any punching.
    I haven't read anything here, that has made me laugh so much.

One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity:"Knowing what one should do and doing differently"

Beans

A number of years ago, I operated a Paid to Click email site. From this experience, I can attest to the value of having a different password for every site that you sign up for. As the administrator, I had access to everything that was required to sign up, including: emails, passwords, user names, addresses, paypal account emails, names, etc. An unscrupulous person could take that info and try different paid to click sites, email accounts, ebay, amazon, paypal,what have you, and attempt to try the usernames/passwords combinations to try accessing accounts if they existed. My only worry is that a virus may copy my copy /paste info when I use a password manager to copy and paste my info to access my sites. The other problem, of course is having a really good Master password to access your password manager. I have seen an article about creating great passwords that are easy to remember.
    http://lifehacker.com/184773/geek-to...reat-passwords

I use those ideas for accessing my password manager as opposed to sites.

Beans
    Distro

I use KeePassX at home, and the Windows version on my work computer. I put miscellaneous info in the file along with passwords -- notes on networks, computer OS details, etc. Put a copy of the kdb file on the cloud. I admire those who have build custom scripts to encrypt their files, but I prefer to let KeePassX do it for me. My memory is not so good, especially in the evenings when I've got adenosine buildup from work, so I really need a password manager. Otherwise I'd sit in front of the boot screen for one of the laptops waiting for some kind of bodhisattva to enlighten me so I can log on.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast