Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Password Managers Really Worth It?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Are Password Managers Really Worth It?

Sounds like Lastpass would be perfect for the OP. I've used it for a while now and I love it, it works and is accessible pretty much anywhere.

trinux_bc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, I need it to use a password manager since I have at least 100 different accounts so.. xD

By the way, I used to work with Keepassx, then I switch to Keepass 2.x, and now I would like to switch back to Keepassx but I don't know how to do that, I think it's impossible No export / import combination suitable...

Beans

I absolutely love KeePassX, and also KeePass2 on Windows. I just make sure I keep an up to date database on both applications so I don't get stuck.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'll tell you what I do, first off I have an encfs volume in my dropbox (which is not needed but an extra layer of security is always nice...

I keep an gpg encrypted text file in this encfs volume, lets call it myPasswords.txt.gpg for arguments sake here....

And I have thi script in my bin folder

==viewPass==
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #for multiple search critera
    if [ "$2" == "" ]; then
    gpg --decrypt --no-use-agent $HOME/EncDropbox/myPasswords.txt.gpg | egrep -i "*$1*"; sleep 30s; cat /dev/null | xsel -psb; reset;. ~/.bashrc
    else
    gpg --decrypt --no-use-agent $HOME/EncDropbox/myPasswords.txt.gpg | egrep -i "*$1*" | egrep -i "*$2*"; sleep 30s; cat /dev/null | xsel -psb; reset;. ~/.bashrc
    fi
    this way no matter what machine I am on, if I need to know m pssword for Ubuntu forums.... I just open a terminal and type in

Code:
    viewPass ubuntu forums
    and it then prompts me to unlock my gpg key, afterwish it spits out my password and then after 30 seconds clears the terminal and wipes the clipboa...

This way I can have ridiculously long passwords with zero hassle and not having to rely on anyone elses security practices..... or lack thereof for my passwods...

and since it is inside an encfs volume if I want to decrypt the whole document to add passwords.... I can.... safetly

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gosset Inofensiu View Post
    Well, I need it to use a password manager since I have at least 100 different accounts so.. xD

By the way, I used to work with Keepassx, then I switch to Keepass 2.x, and now I would like to switch back to Keepassx but I don't know how to do that, I think it's impossible No export / import combination suitable...
    The databases are compatible as far as I recall.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    The databases are compatible as far as I recall.
    No, you have to use a Windows machine to import your KeePassX data into KeePass2, then save the file as a new KeePass2 file. Then you can use the KeePass2 program on Linux to use the new database you've made. It won't work directly using Linux. KeePass2 will alert you that you need to use the Windows program to import a KeePassX database for one reason or another. To be honest I mostly use KeePassX at the moment, as I seem to prefer it, but I do keep both databases I have up to date.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    No, you have to use a Windows machine to import your KeePassX data into KeePass2, then save the file as a new KeePass2 file. Then you can use the KeePass2 program on Linux to use the new database you've made. It won't work directly using Linux. KeePass2 will alert you that you need to use the Windows program to import a KeePassX database for one reason or another. To be honest I mostly use KeePassX at the moment, as I seem to prefer it, but I do keep both databases I have up to date.
    D'oh! I've only used KeePass2, so I haven't tried to convert it over. Thanks for the clarification.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

I assume KeePassX 2 will be able to import KeePass 2 db's eventually , but v2 is still alpha at the moment..

Beans
    Distro

Hi, what I meant was I am not able to export a DB from KeePass2 to KeePassX. I've tried to do that both in Ubuntu and in a Windows machine, but from what I remember I was unable to achieve that simple migration. I'm really waiting the KeePassX.

I also want to say that KeePass2 is compatible at last with Ubuntu OS, but IMHO is way less user friendly than the Windows version. For Ubuntu users, my advice is keep with KeePassX.

Thanks for the replies, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

you need to probably save as old type of data basy in keypass 2 that way you should be able to import it into keypassx.
    keypass 2 has some additional security (upgraded). i use that one on both win/portable USB and linux since i don't need any other functions but to encrypt&store passwords. i know that some functions do not work in linux but since i am not sueing them it doesn't matter.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast