Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu needs a hero (a new mail application)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu needs a hero (a new mail application)

Let's face it, Thunderbird and Evolution aren't so hot. I've logged extensive time with both, and they're bloated, tired, ugly applications. I'm surprised no one has thrown their hat into the ring to create a new mail application with a fresh interface.

Something like Postbox or Sparrow would be awesome. Why must Linux apps always look so thrown together? Ubuntu has done a lot to step up things in the design/UI/UX department, but many of these very basic applications still suck.

Thoughts?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu needs a hero (a new mail application)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
    Let's face it, Thunderbird and Evolution aren't so hot. I've logged extensive time with both, and they're bloated, tired, ugly applications. I'm surprised no one has thrown their hat into the ring to create a new mail application with a fresh interface.

Something like Postbox or Sparrow would be awesome. Why must Linux apps always look so thrown together? Ubuntu has done a lot to step up things in the design/UI/UX department, but many of these very basic applications still suck.

Thoughts?
    My thoughts are that I have used email for 20 + years. I have used every version of outlook , most versions of evolution and currently using Thunderbird.

There has been nothing that i havent been able to do with thunderbird.

I access over 10 different types of account with it and there is nothing else i need from it that it doesnt do already.

As for looks that will always be subjective, seeing as it looks exactly the same as the rest of my apps and interface in general then I am certainly happy as it is the way i configured it to look.

as for bloated ? if you mean resource intensive, well never had any issues, though im currently running it on a i7 with 32GB Ram so that might help.

I am not using Ubuntu, but that is irrelevant.

Peace
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post

Thoughts?
    Compared to Microsoft Outlook (bloated) and Apple Mail (very buggy), Thunderbird, in my opinion, is a better choice and it's free. I never did like Evolution and I have never tried Postbox or Sparrow. But your idea is sound- I'm always up to try something new as long as it's free .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Keep in mind, this discussion is purely about UX and design. I know Thundebird can technically do what an email client is supposed to do, but we should expect more than that.

Beans

I agree that looks are subjective, but I've also been one that prefers usability and substance over looks. I'm familiar with Postbox and other than dropbox links, there is nothing that Thunderbird can't do that Postbox can. Postbox is based on Thunderbird, but its not free.

I'm not familiar with Sparrow, but it looks like Gwibber turned email client.

Thunderbird can be customized to look like your system theme or use some of the Thunderbird themes for a look that is appealing. With all of the extensions that Thunderbird has, I personally find it hard to leave it for something else because you can extend Thunderbird to do all that Postbox does.

As a part-time Mac user, all of Mac programs look the same as the system controls their look, so again, the looks part is subjective to what the user finds appealing. I can agree that innovation should always strive to improve the current norm, but then you get people complaining about innovation - Just look at the Unity backlash

Personally, if Evolution ever cleans up their act with HTML rendering, I would switch to that client in a heartbeat.

Beans

Perhaps try something completely different:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MuttAndGmail

This setup has been working solidly for me for a long time and is very, very extendable....
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you looked into claws-mail. that's all I use for Linux. Postbox for Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Perhaps try something completely different:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MuttAndGmail

This setup has been working solidly for me for a long time and is very, very extendable....
    Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    Have you looked into claws-mail. that's all I use for Linux. Postbox for Windows.
    mutt and claws-mail. My two favorites and I use both daily.

Claws can look early 2000ish out-of-the-box last time I checked out the default, but there are several nicer themes available at the claws site. Probably not as nice as the OP would like, but I can understand the desire for functional aesthetics. I never went back to Thunderbird after Claws made me realize how slow it was. This was back when TB used the "all emails in a single file" format. Maybe it's better now.

How about making your own Thunderbird or Claws theme?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Not a support request.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Geary is fairly cool: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/tag/geary - build-from source or PPA job at the moment though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast