Thread: Nuked spellcheck dictionary when switching from Open Office to Libre Office in 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Red face Nuked spellcheck dictionary when switching from Open Office to Libre Office in 10.04

A while ago I switched from Open Office to Libre Office on a 10.04 machine, but apparently I did something wrong because now my spell check dictionary is gone. This is not just for Libre Office, but for everything system-wide (Thunderbird, web text boxes, etc.) I've lost spellchecking everywhere.

I probably did something in the wrong order when I made the switch. Maybe I installed LO from the PPA before uninstalling OO? On a second 10.04 machine I made the switch without a problem, so I know it should work. I'm sure I just screwed something up here.

Any ideas where to look to try to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Nuked spellcheck dictionary when switching from Open Office to Libre Office in 10

Make sure you have the aspell, myspell and hunspell installed and that may help.

For any added words in your own personal dictionary from OOo, see if there is still a hidden .openoffice.org folder in your home where the old configuration including dictionary will still be.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Nuked spellcheck dictionary when switching from Open Office to Libre Office in 10

Thanks for the reply, ajgreeny.

I seem to have some libraries installed: libaspell15, libhunspell-1.2-0 and libhunspell-1.3-0. Oops! Could the two versions of libhunspell be a problem?

I don't seem to have aspell or hunspell itself installed though. I don't see a "myspell" package in the repositories, just a "myspell-tools" and some language specific myspell dictionaries.

Do I need all three?

I also have installed libenchant1c2a ("a wrapper library for various spell checker engines")

I do have a hidden .openoffice.org folder in my home folder! I found a file ~/.openoffice.org/3/user/wordbook/standard.dic which is only 53 bytes long and contains 5 words and a bunch of null bytes. Is there anywhere else to look for more words? I'm pretty sure I'd added more than 5 to OO.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro

Solved by simply installing:

aspell
    aspell-doc
    aspell-en
    dictionaries-common
    hunspell
    hunspell-en-us

Not sure if all of these were necessary, but now it works so I'm happy regardless.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by nosehat; June 8th, 2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: clarification