Thread: Space escape character in Debian Makefiles

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation Space escape character in Debian Makefiles

I'm currently trying to upload a package onto Launchpad's PPA service but I'm having problems with a path name which includes a space character. I'm trying to make a file install into a directory with a space character in it. The following is an example of the kind of directory I'm trying to install files into using the Makefile:
    (/usr/share/themes/Example Directory/gtk-3.0)
    I've tried the \\ escape character and have tried putting the entire path name in single quotes ('/usr/share/themes/Example Directory/gtk-3.0') in the Makefile and debian/install file in the source of the package, but it's still failing to build on Launchpad's servers.
    Does anyone know any escape character that I can use in order to make Launchpad successfully build the package and make it work when I'm installing the package to my computer or are spaces in directories not supported by the Debian package system?

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post Re: Space escape character in Debian Makefiles

you can't install files with space with dh_install (= debian/*install files)
    you have to rename/install them explicitly in debian/rules with install, mv or cp

e.g. with dh tiny rules:

Code:
    override_dh_install
         dh_install
         install -m 644 "fi le" "debian/tmp/usr/share/fi_le"
    Last edited by MadCow108; June 7th, 2012 at 10:04 PM.