Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: Alpha 1 Officially Released

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Beans
    2,445
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Wink Re: Alpha 1 Officially Released

    Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Run:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    they usually seem to fix themselves. Not sure why UM can't do that. Although if it says "will REMOVE x, y, z", obviously don't do it.
    Actually, I do "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade" unless I notice something is not getting installed that should be, like a new kernel, then I'll hazard a dist-upgrade.

    "partial upgrades" have screwed many many installs. I crank up synaptic, set repositories where I like them example check "partners", turn update manager as far off as possible, reload.

    From then on I use the sudo commands daily.

    Jerry

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Alpha 1 Officially Released

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    2 bugs so far (besides Nautilus crapping out frequently as usual)

    1. "Try Ubuntu " fails on this 3.3 GHz ATI Radeon xpress 200 unless at boot menu push F6 and add
    nomodeset
    to the boot line. Shades of modeset problems since Intrepid. No clue why "startup disk" would have to do "modeset" since a "safe boot" would be best. My opinion. Did work O.K. on netbook and widescreen notebook.

    2. Widescreen notebook can't set external monitor screen resolution, or turn off laptop monitor see bug #1007588. System Settings, Displays fails on Apply. Sebastian's working on it and may be making some headway.

    As an aside, another partition running Pangolin with Quantal's kernel Display works fine.

    Jerry
    I downloaded the kernel 3.4 onto my precise partition. Found only 2 display settings neither of which expanded the scrunched view on my widescreen. It probably has something to do with my nvidia graphics driver. I didn't even have time to send the two requested 3.4 tests as the eyestrain was intense. I quickly uninstalled the kernel.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Beans
    2,445
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Alpha 1 Officially Released

    Quote Originally Posted by unibroker View Post
    I downloaded the kernel 3.4 onto my precise partition. Found only 2 display settings neither of which expanded the scrunched view on my widescreen. It probably has something to do with my nvidia graphics driver. I didn't even have time to send the two requested 3.4 tests as the eyestrain was intense. I quickly uninstalled the kernel.
    Having fits with my widescreen 1366x768 Acer Aspire 5253 notebook with external 1280x1024 monitor. Settings displays "apply" seg faults every time, so I'm stuck with 1024x768. And max bright (ouch) every boot on the wide screen.

    Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310] so it's not just nvidia.

    Ref. my bug #1007588 including back traces, strace, apport, ... I think they've got the info. Fix would depend on their time/indspiration. "Does this bug affect you?"

    On my Compaq tower ATI radeon xpress 200 the Quantal Alpha Startup disk won't unless nomodeset is specified. Once installed runs O.K. 1440x900.

    Jerry

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    4,373
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Alpha 1 Officially Released

    this is starting to look like edgy eft for me and that was so bad it drove me away from ubuntu for awhile. I haven't been able to install a daily after the very first , I have an updated from precise install that is still hanging on by its toenails ( running the xorg edggers driver (nvidia)) . the internet is dog slow , sound is terrible , nautilus keeps the ball spinning 30 or more seconds after a dir is opened and generally poor performance .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Beans
    2,445
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Cool Re: Alpha 1 Officially Released

    Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    this is starting to look like edgy eft for me and that was so bad it drove me away from ubuntu for awhile. I haven't been able to install a daily after the very first , I have an updated from precise install that is still hanging on by its toenails ( running the xorg edggers driver (nvidia)) . the internet is dog slow , sound is terrible , nautilus keeps the ball spinning 30 or more seconds after a dir is opened and generally poor performance .
    Guess that's why there are a bunch of testers - some good results, some bad, some indifferent. 6 June i386.iso actually did work on USB flash memory from quantal startup disk creator, installed O.K. on netbook, widescreen notebook, and tower. Bugs:
    1. Nautilus crashes everywhere,
    2. widescreen notebook with external monitor is stuck on 1024x768 Display Settings seg faults, Ugly. Strange, tower's 1440x900 no problem.

    ***** Edit - now stuck on 1280x1024 my wife in bathing suit on Australian beach is really stretched out. Systems Settings doesn't work. Now the wide screen 1366x768 or whatever is right but systems settings don't. Something about an FGLRX driver?

    3. tower the startup disk had to do nomodeset on the linux boot line.

    For what I do, quantal's about the same as precise. As requested in this forum I have a 3.4.0-4 quantal kernel installed on one of the precise and runs just like precise so far.

    quantal does not run on my nice responsive IBM Thinkpad T40 because of no pae flag. I run precise lubuntu on it, and for speed slitaz runs fast in memory but rough on features. Will try upgrading the precise lubuntu to quantal to see what happens.

    **** Edit - actually, precise lubuntu install with non-pae kernel can be upgraded to quantal so I did. The kernel stays back at precise but everything else seems to be at quantal.

    Jerry
    Last edited by jerrylamos; June 12th, 2012 at 03:02 AM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Alpha 1 Officially Released

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Guess that's why there are a bunch of testers - some good results, some bad, some indifferent. 6 June i386.iso actually did work on USB flash memory from quantal startup disk creator, installed O.K. on netbook, widescreen notebook, and tower. Bugs:
    1. Nautilus crashes everywhere,
    2. widescreen notebook with external monitor is stuck on 1024x768 Display Settings seg faults, Ugly. Strange, tower's 1440x900 no problem.
    3. tower the startup disk had to do nomodeset on the linux boot line.

    For what I do, quantal's about the same as precise. As requested in this forum I have a 3.4.0-4 quantal kernel installed on one of the precise and runs just like precise so far.

    quantal does not run on my nice responsive IBM Thinkpad T40 because of no pae flag. I run precise lubuntu on it, and for speed slitaz runs fast in memory but rough on features. Will try upgrading the precise lubuntu to quantal to see what happens.

    Jerry
    That's why I was surprised at the headache-inducing screen when I installed the kernel 3.4 on Precise. When I ran Quantal Alpha-1 from a live DVD it produced none of this. I'm just glad the instructions for installing the kernel had an effective uninstall procedure just below.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •