Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Alpha 1 Officially Released

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Alpha 1 Officially Released

    I just received this email.

    "There either is or is not, that’s the way things are."
    - Charles Dickens, Great Expectations


    The 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) Alpha 1 milestone image set "is"
    now released.

    Pre-releases of Quantal Quetzal are *not* encouraged for anyone
    needing a stable system or anyone who is not comfortable running
    into occasional, even frequent breakage. They are, however,
    recommended for Ubuntu developers and those who want to help in
    testing, reporting, and fixing bugs as we work towards getting
    this release ready.

    Alpha 1 is the first in a series of milestone images that will be
    released throughout the Quantal development cycle, in addition to
    our daily development images. The Alpha images are known to be
    reasonably free of showstopper CD build or installer bugs, while
    representing a very recent snapshot of Quantal. You can download
    them here:

    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/quantal/alpha-1/
    (Ubuntu Desktop, Server, ARM)

    Additional images are also available at:

    http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/relea...antal/alpha-1/
    (Ubuntu Server Cloud)
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...antal/alpha-1/
    (Kubuntu)
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/r...antal/alpha-1/
    (Edubuntu)
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/re...antal/alpha-1/
    (Lubuntu)

    Alpha 1 includes a number of software updates that are ready for wider
    testing. This is quite an early set of images, so you should expect
    some bugs. For a more detailed description of the changes in the Alpha
    1 release and the known bugs (which can save you the effort of reporting
    a duplicate bug, or help you find proven workarounds), please see:

    http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/

    If you're interested in following the changes as we further develop
    Quantal, we suggest that you subscribe initially to the
    ubuntu-devel-announce list. This is a low-traffic list (a few posts a
    week) carrying announcements of approved specifications, policy changes,
    alpha releases, and other interesting events.

    http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/list...devel-announce


    Kate Stewart, on behalf of the Ubuntu release team

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Left Coast of the USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Alpha 1 Officially Released

    Woo hoo!

    Time to get back to this and stop goofing off, I guess...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: Alpha 1 Officially Released

    Yay! Especially nice to see firefox coming along.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Alpha 1 Officially Released

    I downloaded and made a live DVD of Alpha-1 last night. I want to upgrade my Precise with Quantal, even at this early stage. Can I do that from either the DVD or the downloaded iso from which I burned the DVD?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Alpha 1 Officially Released

    Quote Originally Posted by unibroker View Post
    I downloaded and made a live DVD of Alpha-1 last night. I want to upgrade my Precise with Quantal, even at this early stage. Can I do that from either the DVD or the downloaded iso from which I burned the DVD?
    Depending on your experience level, you can upgrade using your DVD, even though there isn't an option in the install menu. Choose Something else from the partitioning menu, and use the partitions, but don't format them.

    Be aware that this may render your system unusable, so make sure you have good usable backups before doing anything.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Alpha 1 Officially Released

    I just finished an installation, it went remarkably well, aside from a couple of personal mistakes, the install completed with zero problems.

    Don't talk on the phone while entering your password, and make sure you set the correct disk order in the bios after you disable booting from USB.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Alpha 1 Officially Released

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I just finished an installation, it went remarkably well, aside from a couple of personal mistakes, the install completed with zero problems.

    Don't talk on the phone while entering your password, and make sure you set the correct disk order in the bios after you disable booting from USB.
    Thanks for the response. I just got to know of Ubuntu in November and decided to dual boot 11.10 I believe (the one before Precise) with my Win XP. Then I read somewhere that Precise which was in development had a real quick boot time. I did an update and upgrade from the command line and even though there were some rough edges it got better and better with every Update. For that reason and even though I'm still learning I want to see what I can do to assist with testing.

    BTW, in your first message you mentioned about selecting Something Else. I assume that is under the Install Ubuntu button as Try Ubuntu just takes you to the Desktop. There is also Install Ubuntu 12.10 icon on the Desktop when you arrive there from Try Ubuntu.

    Thanks again.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Alpha 1 Officially Released

    Quote Originally Posted by unibroker View Post
    Thanks for the response. I just got to know of Ubuntu in November and decided to dual boot 11.10 I believe (the one before Precise) with my Win XP. Then I read somewhere that Precise which was in development had a real quick boot time. I did an update and upgrade from the command line and even though there were some rough edges it got better and better with every Update. For that reason and even though I'm still learning I want to see what I can do to assist with testing.

    BTW, in your first message you mentioned about selecting Something Else. I assume that is under the Install Ubuntu button as Try Ubuntu just takes you to the Desktop. There is also Install Ubuntu 12.10 icon on the Desktop when you arrive there from Try Ubuntu.

    Thanks again.
    Welcome, we can always use more testers. The preferred method of running a development version, is to create an extra partition and install it on that. There have been times when a development version is unusable, so you should always have a stable running version installed, so that you have something to fall back on if things break, and allow you to chroot your development version partition in order to fix the problem.

    For example with the problem I had with the wrong password, booting into recovery mode wouldn't allow me to change the password due to the disk order problem I mentioned. I booted into my stable install of Precise, and chrooted the / partition, and was able to change my password successfully.

    If you do decide to run a development version, don't be shy about asking questions if you run into any problems.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Beans
    2,529
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Wink Re: Alpha 1 Officially Released

    2 bugs so far (besides Nautilus crapping out frequently as usual)

    1. "Try Ubuntu " fails on this 3.3 GHz ATI Radeon xpress 200 unless at boot menu push F6 and add
    nomodeset
    to the boot line. Shades of modeset problems since Intrepid. No clue why "startup disk" would have to do "modeset" since a "safe boot" would be best. My opinion. Did work O.K. on netbook and widescreen notebook.

    2. Widescreen notebook can't set external monitor screen resolution, or turn off laptop monitor see bug #1007588. System Settings, Displays fails on Apply. Sebastian's working on it and may be making some headway.

    As an aside, another partition running Pangolin with Quantal's kernel Display works fine.

    Jerry

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Alpha 1 Officially Released

    Found a few bugs so far as well but all were reported a few times over. So far so good, I see the updates starting to come in. Time to play.
    UsingTheTerminal and PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

    Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •