Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to change default burning app in 12.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to change default burning app in 12.04?

if you have installed k3b goto system settings>details>removable media> other media and select your removable media and select k3b from dropdown menu of action. think that may solve your problem with simplicity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mustafi05 View Post
    if you have installed k3b goto system settings>details>removable media> other media and select your removable media and select k3b from dropdown menu of action. think that may solve your problem with simplicity.
    No it wont, it merely confuses the issue. No programs are required to set up basic default actions.

Also, what you have posted is not what he wants to do. Please read the thread before you offer suggestions. Posting all sorts of irrelevant stuff just confuses people.
    Last edited by traditionalist; June 7th, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
    There is always a way, but it might not be the best way, or your way!

Beans

I want to find the config file, where setting for default applications for removable media are stored. I looked in gconf, but did not find any.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by traditionalist View Post
    No it wont, it merely confuses the issue. No programs are required to set up basic default actions.

Also, what you have posted is not what he wants to do. Please read the thread before you offer suggestions. Posting all sorts of irrelevant stuff just confuses people.
    No, he wants to know where the entry is stored. So do lots of people that are reading this and don't have V 12. There's a different answer to this for 10, etc. The answer about settings works for 12, but not for other versions (and a lot of peeps will have multiple ones).

The only confusion was you when you told him to look at properties on a blank DVD and change the "Open with" entry, which it doesn't have. The System->Settings...Removable Media isn't present in 10 and lower. Wonderful, there's an applet for 12 that does that. If someone would answer follow-on question about where that's stored, then people won't have to start a thread like this for every.stinking.version.

Unfortunately, Ubuntu development is starting to have a lot of Microshaft look and feel to it, imho. Apps that don't do what you tell them to because they "know better", lone engineers deciding that they really would like something different impacting everyone for no good reason, etc. This is real, real simple. You stick a blank DVD into the system and the stupid Brasero DVD Copy applet comes up. You're never going to use Brasero. How do you shut it up?

You use the removable media settings app in V 12. Now, are we going to itemize how you do it in every version or is someone going to tell us where Nautilus stores the information?

Beans

I found no way to do it from the GUI, but you can simply run this from the command line. Pick the "media" tab.

nautilus-file-management-properties

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ITisFraud View Post
    I found no way to do it from the GUI, but you can simply run this from the command line. Pick the "media" tab.
    Code:
    nautilus-file-management-properties
    I thought I would try this but this command does not exist in 12.10 64-bit (live). Has it been deleted or do I have to install it?
    http://library.gnome.org/users/user-.../nautilus.html Doesn't work yet.
    A search shows a man page but that is all.

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12