Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: faulty VGA port

Beans

faulty VGA port

Good day,

i have a HP g62 laptop and I wanted to connect it to a screen I have via the available VGA port. Everything connects fine but on darker colors I see horizontal lines that move in a vertical manner. I tried cleaning the port using compressed air but even after this the problem maintained. It's nothing wrong with the screen, since with other devices, including laptops, it works just fine, I even tried a new set of cables, but the problem persists. My graphics chip is fully up to date.
    On that particular laptop I am using Windows 7 PRO 64 bit.

Any ideas of what might be causing those lines and how to fix it?

Beans

Re: faulty VGA port

Boot the laptop from a linux livecd and see if the problem persists, if it does then it could potentially be faulty hardware of sorts.

Beans

booted from a ubuntu 12.04 live cd and the problem was still there. This vga port is right on top of the fan, could the heat have killed this port? Or just basically it´s position, and since we are talking about an analog port, be incraesing the noise of the signal?

Anything I can do about this?
    I have a hdmi port on the laptop, but the screen is vga only, and with prices for a singal converter, I would almost buy a new screen with hdmi port.

Beans
    Hidden!

see if any errors show up in xorg.0.log when booting with the external vga monitor connected.

Beans

@luismgl: Hmm... well, by booting the system up off of a different OS installation and getting the same problem, you've just proven it's hardware.

My bet is that it's either a strictly mechanical issue (attached cable has at some point pried the connector in part up off the mobo, thus severing some connections), or it's a thermal "expansion-contraction cycle" type of failure.

In some cases, and assuming we're talking about severed connections, it is possible to re-solder whatever has been damaged. However, for the most part, you can't fix these things with a soldering job because motherboards are multi-layered, and the connection point that's damaged is not one that's visually exposed, or even if it is, something else is going to get damaged in the process of trying to service it.

If the laptop is still under warranty, you can attempt to pursue this as a warranty-related issue. If not, well... don't bother getting the laptop serviced out-of-warranty because it'll likely cost you as much as buying a new one, or cost so much that it just wouldn't be worth it.

Best of luck to you, though!

Beans

Since I have a HDMI port on my laptop, a friend sugested this
    http://www.stocktogo.co.uk/belkin-dv...ib-p-1938.html
    http://www.growing.pt/produto.php?id=46

Still he was not sure if it worked because he never tried, somehow I don't this is working out at all. What do you think?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by luismgl View Post
    Since I have a HDMI port on my laptop, a friend sugested this
    http://www.stocktogo.co.uk/belkin-dv...ib-p-1938.html
    http://www.growing.pt/produto.php?id=46

Still he was not sure if it worked because he never tried, somehow I don't this is working out at all. What do you think?
    Before buying anything maybe try and test it on someones lcd/tv that does have a hdmi port&cable. The problem might go further back to the output stage of the gpu etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Before buying anything maybe try and test it on someones lcd/tv that does have a hdmi port&cable. The problem might go further back to the output stage of the gpu etc.
    the hdmi is fine, I tried on my own tv

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    This for sure.

I got an HDMI monitor, but running a VGA cable into causes horrible lines on darker colors, Its kinda causes a twinkling effect on many pixels. Very annoying. Fixed this by installing proper cable and adjusting scaling effect on the monitor via the video driver settings.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    This for sure.

I got an HDMI monitor, but running a VGA cable into causes horrible lines on darker colors, Its kinda causes a twinkling effect on many pixels. Very annoying. Fixed this by installing proper cable and adjusting scaling effect on the monitor via the video driver settings.
    As I said, my hdmi is working fine, it´s with the vga port the trouble comes. But do explain how you got yours fixed. What do you mean by "proper cable"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast