Thread: urgently need help. 90% system in chinese and keyboard not working after last update

Beans

Exclamation urgently need help. 90% system in chinese and keyboard not working after last update

help please

or help me get windows back please linux is no where near stable enough for me...tried unet but cant display all drives And only have usb to make boot on screen keys suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. please help!

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: urgently need help. 90% system in chinese and keyboard not working after last upd

you got it , aka mega catastrophe, tweak, tweak, break ; open the System Settings to update the default language(s)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: urgently need help. 90% system in chinese and keyboard not working after last upd

If you don't already have a backup of /home, get one now (ctrl-alt-F1 if X is messed up).

Once you've done that, you can at least relax a bit. The worst that could happen then is re-install the OS and restore your backup. Then apt to install all your applications.

Snafus happen. Be ready. (They happen in Windows, too... don't be fooled.)
    - Frank

Beans

tried to try not easy in chinese but...attached ss
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mimicatastrophe; June 7th, 2012 at 01:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mimicatastrophe View Post
    tried to try not easy in chinese but...attached ss
    if you dont need chinese, then remove it; but set french on top of the installed languages, then click on "apply to whole system", and repeat on the "regional" tab

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fbicknel View Post
    If you don't already have a backup of /home, get one now (ctrl-alt-F1 if X is messed up).

Once you've done that, you can at least relax a bit. The worst that could happen then is re-install the OS and restore your backup. Then apt to install all your applications.

Snafus happen. Be ready. (They happen in Windows, too... don't be fooled.)
    im not a windows Activast but have had linux 1 week been fixing a new or recurring issue 85% of the time probably.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    if you dont need chinese, then remove it; but set french on top of the installed languages, then click on "apply to whole system", and repeat on the "regional" tab
    dude not only do i not have the option for french but i cant read any tabs so apply and regional mean little i wish they did

Beans

uh cntl alt f1 locked me out of onboard upon reset english magically works but still no keyboard still

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i suppose that your system is a french one, so explain how you got chinese without some crazy custom tweaks. If you really want help, take the time to follow the already given ones.

check inside synaptic (sudo apt-get install synaptic && sudo synaptic) that language-pack-fr is installed and purge the chinese one(s)

Beans

i only meant i didnt know where button or tab to those were since label was chinese. and i think that all language packs are installed but literally all ive done is add software from partners and installed all updates wouldnt know where to begin messing with it + just want it functioning at an acceptable level to get my work done safely