Thread: Can't decide which distro to try next

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't decide which distro to try next

Quote Originally Posted by kelvin spratt View Post
    I use Arch/Slackware
    test says they mayby to hard for me?
    Haha, it told me that too, but Arch is my main distro and works fine for me...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by na5h View Post
    Nice test! I got 100% on Ubuntu, Debian and Linux Mint. No surprise really...although I've always found Crunchbang to be quite intriguing...
    Crunchbang is very nice, you should definitely give it a try. It offers a live CD, so you can't go wrong.

Yeah, I get Slackware and Gentoo. I already use Slackware on the desktop, and currently Lubuntu on the laptop (previously Arch with KDE), although I'll probably switch to Slack on the laptop soon. I'm not sure I want to go down the Gentoo path, though, although it is tempting.
    Last edited by eyeofliberty; June 7th, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
    Mac OS X 10.6.8
    Debian Sid - Openbox
    Ubuntu 12.04
    Slackware 14 - Openbox

Beans

The test gave me 100% for Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Mint, and Debian. I use Ubuntu, Arch, Siduction, and Sabayon. I have never even tried Kubuntu or Mint.

Arch and Siduction are my current favorites.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

After the package-manager, it's all pretty much the same "under the hood"
    What package management system do you prefer?
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Can't decide which distro to try next

Quote Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
    After the package-manager, it's all pretty much the same "under the hood"
    What package management system do you prefer?
    I disagree, somewhat. Yes, they all do pretty much the same things, but are in other meaningful ways quite different.

For example, Arch Linux keeps itself on the cutting edge. Siduction is even more out front. Ubuntu is modern, but still quite stable, while Slackware and Debian have older technology stacks, but are rock stable.

Different people have widely differing preferences on this curve. I personally like to be on the leading edge, while others have a strong preference for stability.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Try Debian. Or Arch. Those are what I use and you should definitely check them if you are distro-hopping.

Beans

Brizlitman, it appears that Ubuntu is your first Linux. Do you want to try another easy-to-use distro, or something that is more difficult?

I'm using Ubuntu LTS because, compared to a variety of distros that I've tried over the years, Ubuntu
    - is stable
    - is user friendly
    and, in random order...
    - offers 5 year support
    - considers the needs of enterprise clients
    - has lots of software in the repository
    - has a helpful forum for people with low levels of expertise
    - is attempting to provide a modern DE

(by "modern DE" I mean a desktop environment that will provide a familiar feel to business admins and staffers who will be, and already are, using tablets and phones for much of their daily business activity.. i.e. a DE with a future)

There is no other distro like Ubuntu. Whatever else you try will give you a different experience.

There is plenty to see and learn about that is stable and user friendly. Distro options that are stable and user friendly require less effort than other options, so, if you have a real life, why not make things easy on yourself?

Try...

> PCLOS KDE or Mageia

If you have better things to do than mess with boot loaders, then try...

> Mint 13 Cinnamon

PCLOS and Mint have good track records and solid communities. PCLOS uses an older kernel. Mint 12 & KDE were not up to Mint 11 standards. Mageia has been through some turmoil but appears to be on the right track. These distros will likely provide good exposure to what FOSS offers desktop computer users for a minimum amount of wasted effort on things that, in 2012, should just work.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by chocklet; June 8th, 2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: correction to Mint 13

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofliberty View Post
    Take the test!

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

Mine always comes up Slackware.
    Hmmm. Recommended Debian for me, but didn't say Stable or Testing or Unstable. Also recommended OpenSuse, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, and Mandriva. Sigh....

Beans

Mint/Ubuntu/Mepis/Mandriva/Kubuntu/Opensuse

Tried Mint already.
    Always have Ubu around.
    Tempted by Mepis.
    Mandriva seems too 'messy' right now (though Mandrake was my first ever Linux distro).
    Not keen on Kubu.
    Semi-tempted by OpenSuse.

Will prolly give Mepis a spin on one of my machines soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

SolusOS seems quite interesting, http://solusos.com/

From a former Mint developer, similar to the LMDE concept. Current version is based on Debian Squeeze, next version to be based on Wheezy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast