Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apache stopped working / noob question.

Beans

Apache stopped working / noob question.

Hello, I just got myself completely worked up after i took a few hours trying to fix this and failed, now i have calmed down and come to you guys for help. While i am not an all out complete noob at ubuntu / linux, i am not that great either.

Hardware is a IBM xseries 366 server, the only notable thing is that their are 8 gigabit ports installed. Software is ubuntu server version 11.10

About a week ago i had a crappy ISP called earthlink that gave horrible speeds. With this setup i had the modem/router combo connected directly to the server by a LAN cable. It has a default ip of 192.168.3.1 and the server has a port configured with a static of 192.168.3.5 i told the modem/router to forward port 80 to 192.168.3.5 and all is well, the website on the server worked (slowly)

Then the isp got changed to comcast. They provide a device which is only a modem, no router. So i connected a router (grandstream HT-502 V1.1C, used on our network for Voip) in between the new modem and the server. I should mention at this point that the server was also being used as a traffic control/ftp server for all of the devices on the network. The other devices were connected to other ethernet ports on the server, which were bridged (using bridge-tools) to each other and another modem. This second modem was ditched when we upgraded to comcast, so now the website hosting is not separate from the bridge / all the ports but one are bridged (back to that "one" later), anyway the port that the cable going from the grandstream to the server used was 192.168.3.5 as well but i have tried troubleshooting this to dhcp and manual settings. The bridge port, br0, is set to a static of 192.168.3.82. I forwarded port 80 to this address in the grandstream and, when trying from outside of the network, the hosted websites worked fine.

recently i got a comment that someone could not access them anymore. and sure enough, they were not working. The only thing that i have done in the last few days was to install transmission-daemon on the server, but it is bound to the other network port (the "one" port mentioned earlier, which is outside of the network bridge) I have removed it from startup just to be sure. I have been trying all sorts of ips and settings in the /etc/networking/interfaces file but with no luck so far. From outside the network i can ping the website (the comcast modem) fine. The problem is some setting either between the modem and router (unlikely) or between the server and router. (i also know apache is working correctly because from the other bridge devices i can type 192.168.3.82 and the website pops up)

I have had a few problem with this in the past, but usually i can just change the network connection to dhcp, reset network, and change it back to static and it will work. I think somehow adding the network bridge into the mix has caused a problem, but i am a newb at this, so maybe i am completely wrong.

anyway tell me if you want me to post the interfaces file or another file.

thanks...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Apache stopped working / noob question.

Comcast blocks port 80 IIRC. Try switching the port forwarding from port 80 to port 8080 on the WAN side and see if you can access the site from outside your network.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Hello, thank you for the reply.

I tried switching the wan side to 8080, and this makes it so that i get the router configuration page from outside of the network. O_o

i then tried switching the routers web port to 81 instead of 80, but this just made it so i can not connect again.

thanks again for the help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sona1111 View Post
    Hello, thank you for the reply.

I tried switching the wan side to 8080, and this makes it so that i get the router configuration page from outside of the network. O_o

i then tried switching the routers web port to 81 instead of 80, but this just made it so i can not connect again.

thanks again for the help.
    What brand of router?

Beans

as stated in op, it is a grandstream HT-502 V1.1C. This has just one WAN and LAN port, and two phone ports. It was provided by our phonepower voip service, but it has all the necessary settings to be a router. If you think it is the problem i can try a regular linksys wired router instead.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sona1111 View Post
    as stated in op, it is a grandstream HT-502 V1.1C. This has just one WAN and LAN port, and two phone ports. It was provided by our phonepower voip service, but it has all the necessary settings to be a router. If you think it is the problem i can try a regular linksys wired router instead.
    It would be a good idea to put a regular router in between the internet and the VOIP box.

The way I have mine set up - is to connect to VOIP box to the router via LAN port and leave the regular router to do all the traffic management.

Beans

sorry for the long reply, and thanks for sticking with me. (i have to wait for others to be offline before i can switch around anything.) I installed a "regular" router in between the modem and server. Its a linksys BEFSR41, not that new but should still be useful. Anyway comcast gave me a new IP so i was sure to stick it on "static ip" mode now. (if it would help with diag i can give the internet address info.) I set first a regular port 80 forward and then a port 8080. Neither did anything (timeout) I might also add that comcast's website states they do not block port 80.

any more ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Try double checking your port forwarding to make sure it is set correctly and then going to http://canyouseeme.org/ and check to see if the port is open.

Beans

i believe the settings are correct , but i can send a few pictures if needed to verify. I have also disabled that "block anonymous internet requests" thingy.

clearly something weird is going on.

canyouseeme can not see both port 80 and 8080 when running from lynx on the server itself - even after i gave the server a DMZ (just for diag purposes)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Pictures would probably help.

You could always try a random high number port like 9900 and see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast