Thread: Wireless on Dell Inspiron 1501

Beans

Wireless on Dell Inspiron 1501

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit) on my Dell Inspiron 1501. I can't use the wireless. From what I have found on the internet I need to install the Windows drivers and then use NDISwrapper. But I don't know where to find the drivers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: Wireless on Dell Inspiron 1501

Try putting these lines in the Terminal one at a time:

sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    Reboot and it should connect.

Beans

I entered those commands into the terminal, but I got the following error message:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi, that usually means you have software center and the terminal open, if this is not the case reboot the system and that should clear it.
    Thanks

Beans

Previously I am also having same problem then I noticed that there are few functions keys are available in Dell laptops and by pressing them I mistakenly off the wireless connection from hardware.

Check on your laptop, there is key in bottom Fn written press that key with key of wireless symbol printed(In mine laptop wireless symbol printed is in F2 key).

One ore thing don't forgot to check the light in laptop of wireless connection.