Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 and Vaio VPCEB3M1E battery drains fast

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 and Vaio VPCEB3M1E battery drains fast

Hello folks,

I have got installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my Sony Vaio VPCEB3M1E a couple of weeks ago, and I realized the battery drains in really no time. Like, with the brightness turned all the way down and just surfing the web and doing some xchat the battery will last at the most one hour, while with brightness at 50% the battery wont even last 40 minutes, not to mention if I watch some flash videos on youtube or worst case I use the webcam.

On windows 7 though with the same settings, again brightness all the way down I can get two hours and half of usage, also doing some webcam session as well as watching some videos on youtube. If I increase the brightness of a 40/50% up the battery will last a little less than two hours, but still way longer than Ubuntu.

I am using stock kernel 3.2.0-24-generic 64 bit, and that's the output of /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info

Code:
    present:                 yes
    design capacity:         42180 mWh
    last full capacity:      31730 mWh
    battery technology:      non-rechargeable
    design voltage:          109630 mV
    design capacity warning: 1000 mWh
    design capacity low:     1 mWh
    cycle count:		  0
    capacity granularity 1:  100 mWh
    capacity granularity 2:  100 mWh
    model number:            
    serial number:           
    battery type:            LiOn
    OEM info:                Sony Corp.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by Segnale007; June 6th, 2012 at 10:34 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 and Vaio VPCEB3M1E battery drains fast

Any idea ??

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Try looking up cpu scaling. Most likely your cpu is set to the maximum clock rate when it's busy and when it's idle causing huge power loss. I would also advise you to look into laptop-mode tools ( a set of scripts that implement cpu scaling, hard drive spin down, network power management) but I don't know how it works with Ubuntu. Here is something you should read through : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop_Mode_Tools

-Red
    Everything in the future is a wave, everything in the past is a particle. -Lawrence Bragg

Parabola: https://parabolagnulinux.org/
    Completely freed... Libre GNU/Linux !!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade20XX View Post
    Try looking up cpu scaling. Most likely your cpu is set to the maximum clock rate when it's busy and when it's idle causing huge power loss. I would also advise you to look into laptop-mode tools ( a set of scripts that implement cpu scaling, hard drive spin down, network power management) but I don't know how it works with Ubuntu. Here is something you should read through : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop_Mode_Tools

-Red
    Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I have been away from linux for quite long time now and I am trying to get back on track

Anyways, I installed the laptopt-mode-tools and I spent a bunch of hours configuring it.. However somethings must be wrong with it, I think..

According to the developer FAQ, if laptop_mode tool is working properly the /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode value should be a number greater than 0, but I don't get anything greater than 0.

I have also set the value vm.laptop_mode = 1 to /etc/sysctl.conf but neither this helped.

However, according to /etc/init.d/laptop-mode it seems that its working just fine (please correct me if I am wrong).

Here's the /etc/init.d/laptop.mode output.

One more thing. How do I adjust the cpu scaling in order to set the cpu to a lower frequency when the laptop is running on BATT?
    I have seen through the laptop_mode man that this can be done with laptop_mode, but this feature is only supported from kernel 2.6.X and I am running on 3.2.0-24.

Thanks
    Last edited by Segnale007; June 8th, 2012 at 10:19 PM.

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu 12.04 and Vaio VPCEB3M1E battery drains fast

For sony vaio users:
    To make the battery life longer

Use the power saving function.
    Your computer has two distinct power saving modes which apply to the computer not in use: Sleep mode and Hibernate mode.

Place the computer into Sleep mode as often as possible and into Hibernate mode when you do not use it for a while, and turn it off when you do not intend to use for an extended period of time.

Adjust the LCD brightness of your computer screen. Decrease the volume of the speakers or headphones. Disconnect any peripheral devices not in use.

However , To extend the battery lifetime
    Your computer has the battery care function. By setting the maximum charge level lower with the function, you can slow battery degradation and extend the battery lifetime.
    Effects on battery capacity at the different maximum charge levels
    Vertical axis: battery capacity, horizontal axis: duration of use

Thanks,
    InfotechLogic.com