Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collaborative Efforts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Collaborative Efforts

There have been many talks about personnel willing to help and wanting to aid in the revival of UCE. Myself and others have made available resources and avenues for you all to do just those very things. Join the team, (which is currently a team of one...me!) We have a mailing list that has gone dead as no one responds to it anymore and we have multiple threads here on this very forum of folks stating they are willing to help and i have put out calls for people to help in this project and have not gotten one response back. Yes to answer your questions there is already a release in works.

Additions include:
    Dansguardian + Privoxy for content filter
    Bible based applications
    Themes/Icons
    Multiple applications for overall system management
    IE: gnome-tweak, bleachbit, start-up manager aka bum, plus more
    What is needed is artwork, wallpapers, splash images, etc.

We have threads such as: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1878684&page=4
    and
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1885790

of people stating interest. Well how about we combine efforts here and form a formal, oraganized, structured team and make this happen! Theres plenty of work for everyone to go around!
    Ubuntu Christian Edition chat on irc at server: OFTC/channel: #ubuntuCE
    BootInfoScript DualBooting
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra and ghulselmans

Beans

Re: Collaborative Efforts

as i stated in the last post which is now closed I would be interested in helping out. I have writing skills and would like to lend a hand with documentation writing or any other types of tasks that would need help.
    I would also be willing to help with any other tasks the powers that be need help on.
    For me I would like to see a distro that is loaded with christian apps and resources which will cater to Christians furthering and supporting their faith journey as well as be accessible and easy to use for someone who is interested in finding out what Christianity is about. I know these are general statements but I think the last distro (was it 9.0?) was a christian distro on the surface but didnt have the depth of christian apps and design I was hoping for. That's not a criticisms by any means as I enjoyed it very much and the team should be commended for their efforts and hard work.

anyway God bless you all and looking forward to seeing what is developed.
    Last edited by tdlam; June 7th, 2012 at 04:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There is much that is able to be done. If you are interested feel free to PM and/or subscribe to the mailing list and shoot a email explaining your views and what you would like to see and help.

mailing list at: http://www.freelists.org/list/ubuntuchristianedition
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB

Beans

I'm also interested in this and just subscribed to the mailing list. Not sure what I can do to help other than suggestions and being a beta tester. I will reiterate that I think a release for newer hardware based upon Kubuntu would be nice. I would suggest a second release based on Xubuntu or Lubuntu for older hardware, maybe even Debian based for older hardware as some issues have popped up for older hardware with ubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would be more interested in seeing the dansguardian project revived/redocumented, as to me that's the main selling point of an Ubuntu CE(Bible apps preconfigured might be nice as well)- but I like my OS's too minimal to install the full system.
    But best wishes and good luck!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    I would be more interested in seeing the dansguardian project revived/redocumented, as to me that's the main selling point of an Ubuntu CE(Bible apps preconfigured might be nice as well)- but I like my OS's too minimal to install the full system.
    But best wishes and good luck!
    I agree DG is a major selling point for UCE and as such is a reason that took so long to release a RC. I have spoken with the lead dev of DG and he has stated that there are not many complaintes truly being brought forward with DG's current state. Feature request or bugs must be brought to light if we want to see additions to DG!
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    I'm also interested in this and just subscribed to the mailing list. Not sure what I can do to help other than suggestions and being a beta tester. I will reiterate that I think a release for newer hardware based upon Kubuntu would be nice. I would suggest a second release based on Xubuntu or Lubuntu for older hardware, maybe even Debian based for older hardware as some issues have popped up for older hardware with ubuntu 12.04.
    Funny you should mention that as future releases for those various environments are underway as well. But they will have to come under a different name than UCE. Also you don't have to be a programmer to help. A simple task needing attention is docs on our various applications. Some wiki work for UCE as a distro would be nice as well!
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB

Beans

Maybe a DCE (Debian Christian Edition) built on Debian Stable. When it/they OS's are released I would be happy to do a review of them on my blog. Also willing to work with someone on the documentation/wiki. But I'll need to test drive it/them so I know what I'm talking about
    Debian Testing (the new Debian Stable) is going into freeze this month, should probably be safe to build on by this fall/winter, and it will have 3 years support. Might be best to do an Ubuntu CE release soon, and a Debian release for older hardware later.
    Just a thought.
    kbd47

Beans

I searched for an Ubuntu Christian Edition web site, but it said: server not found. I think it would be helpful if there was a page to describe the purpose and reason for the UCE. A subsection describing the applications and their uses, ex-Windows users will be clueless about the apps. A subsection/wiki describing tweaks and fixes general instructions with newbies in mind.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    I searched for an Ubuntu Christian Edition web site, but it said: server not found. I think it would be helpful if there was a page to describe the purpose and reason for the UCE. A subsection describing the applications and their uses, ex-Windows users will be clueless about the apps. A subsection/wiki describing tweaks and fixes general instructions with newbies in mind.
    Sounds like a simple task. You interested KBD47?
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast