Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Autostarting conky not working in 12.04

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    3,509

    Re: Autostarting conky not working in 12.04

    The conky in 12.04 has a couple of bugs.
    Try updating conky using this ppa.
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:vincent-c/conky
    sudo apt-get update
    Update manager should now open where you can update
    or just run...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install conky-all
    or use just conky depending on what package
    you have installed originally.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    1

    Re: Autostarting conky not working in 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    This is what I use and the sleep delay time can be changed. I use 10 to allow Compiz to start . Just make it executable and add to start-up programs .

    Code:
     #!/bin/bash
     sleep 10 && 
    conky -c ~/.conkyrc;

    I just wanted to reply and confirm that this method worked for me!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oxford, OH, USA
    Beans
    1,000
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Autostarting conky not working in 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by 216monster View Post
    I just wanted to reply and confirm that this method worked for me!
    Works for me as well.

    Thanks!
    ________________________________
    DELL e6420 Laptop
    Ubuntu Pagolin Precise 12.04 LTS
    Linux Registered User #434330

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rome, Ga
    Beans
    2,339
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Autostarting conky not working in 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    This is what I use and the sleep delay time can be changed. I use 10 to allow Compiz to start . Just make it executable and add to start-up programs .

    Code:
     #!/bin/bash
     sleep 10 && 
    conky -c ~/.conkyrc;
    Worked for me, too.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Beans
    29

    Re: Autostarting conky not working in 12.04

    try this
    usr/bin/conky -d -c /home/user/.conkyrc

    the important part is the -d is starts it as a daemon

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Iceland
    Beans
    202
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Autostarting conky not working in 12.04

    sudo apt-get install conky-all

    2. Again via Linux terminal, make a config file named ".conkyrc" in your home directory

    gedit ~/.conkyrc

    3. Paste your preferred Conky config file and make sure that you set "own_window_type" to "override", and then save it.
    gedit .conky_start.sh

    Paste this code:

    #!/bin/bash

    sleep 15 && conky;

    Make sure the script is executable:

    chmod a+x .conky_start.sh
    5. Now let's add conky_start script to your “Startup Applications”.
    /home/your_user_name/.conky_start.sh
    AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 RAM 8 GiB MSI
    760G MSI Radeon HD R6670 Samsung 128GB SSD 830 Series - Seagate 1TB

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    28

    Re: Autostarting conky not working in 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    The conky in 12.04 has a couple of bugs.
    Try updating conky using this ppa.
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:vincent-c/conky
    sudo apt-get update
    Update manager should now open where you can update
    or just run...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install conky-all
    or use just conky depending on what package
    you have installed originally.
    Worked for me.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    1

    Exclamation Re: Autostarting conky not working in 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by taras.kuzyo View Post
    Worked for me.
    Not for me on sudio. Annoying that this worked in other versions of ubuntu and is broken now.

    Conky will not autostart on my system. I followed the docs. I added the repo above & reinstalled and it still will not autostart. I refuse to do the shell script with the delay.

    # lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
    Release: 12.04
    Codename: precise

    # echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
    ubuntustudio

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    3,509

    Re: Autostarting conky not working in 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by 112123user View Post
    Not for me on sudio. Annoying that this worked in other versions of ubuntu and is broken now.

    Conky will not autostart on my system. I followed the docs. I added the repo above & reinstalled and it still will not autostart. I refuse to do the shell script with the delay.

    # lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
    Release: 12.04
    Codename: precise

    # echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
    ubuntustudio
    XFCE is the default desktop environment in ubuntustudio 12.04 and therefore a different window manager, xfwm.

    In your conky config try different settings for own_window_type
    Code:
    own_window_type desktop
    or
    own_window_type override
    Delay the start of conky with the in built pausing(-p <secs>)
    Code:
    conky -p 20
    Last edited by stinkeye; October 5th, 2012 at 03:08 AM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Beans
    21
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Unhappy Re: Autostarting conky not working in 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    This is what I use and the sleep delay time can be changed. I use 10 to allow Compiz to start . Just make it executable and add to start-up programs .

    Code:
     #!/bin/bash
     sleep 10 && 
    conky -c ~/.conkyrc;
    Didn't work for me

    I'm running conky version 1.9.0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •