Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HDD Failing... But There's Nothing Wrong With It.

Beans

Re: HDD Failing... But There's Nothing Wrong With It.

Thanks, I'll fire off a nastygram to Jetway and see if they can help me test it somehow.

Beans

Possible problem found!!! (hopefully) I took the whole machine apart and started futzing around. I had the SATA cables beautifully routed and bundled but when I started wiggling them they looked sort of loose in their sockets on the MOBO. Not because they were loose per se, but because they don't fit that well. I cut all the ties and ran them loose to try and alleviate any stress on the sockets. Rebooted and /dev/md127 came up clean.

Stopped md127 and did a quick:

Code:
    sudo mdadm --create --verbose --assume-clean /dev/md0 --level=raid6 --raid-devices=4 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sde1
    and it seemed to work.

Back to stress test again. And order some good locking SATA cables.

I'm hopeful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Geez, cable management is a great thing... except when it makes your connections inconsistent I really hope this solves your problem.

Beans

Well. Crap. I can drop a single instance of my music directory on it and it seems to do OK, but when I drop it into 2 separate directories at the same time the RAID starts failing disks. Back to the drawing board. New cables should be here in a couple days in any case.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Can you setup a partition and filesystem on each disk and mount them individually and copy to them (or better, try out timemachine on each) and see if you see the disks become unavailable?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Also, try a RAID-1 on just a couple of those disks and the other two removed. I know it's no use capacity-wise for you, but at least you'll have an idea what's reliable and what isn't.

If two disks (plus system drive) work ok, then try adding another and test again.

Beans

Both excellent suggestions. Thanks. Considering how many times I've rebuilt this thing already doing individual disks will be simple. After that 2x raid 1 then add in more disks and see what happens. And migrate to AHCI while I'm at it.

The only saving grace through this whole thing is that the OS is on a separate drive that's been stable. I would have shot this box a month ago if I had to redo the OS every time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234