Thread: Different wallpapers on different monitors in dual-monitor setup

Beans

Different wallpapers on different monitors in dual-monitor setup

Hello everyone. I am now running Ubuntu in a dual-monitor environment. However, they aren't the same resolution (one is 1680x1050, the other is 1600x900).

I've run dual monitors for a long time in Windows, in both XP and 7. And my graphics card driver allows me to have different wallpapers for each monitor. I can do this in KDE as well, as KDE has native support for different wallpapers for each monitor.

However, Unity and GNOME Shell (and probably Cinnamon too, dunno) don't seem to support this function natively. Whatever wallpaper I choose, it's the same for both monitors. I can't change wallpaper for each monitor individually like I can in KDE. Sure I can probably set it to fill, stretch, zoom, tile, or center and it wouldn't look squished on the other monitor. And sure, it would look right if both my monitors had the same native resolution.

So my question is... is there anything I'm missing or overlooked? Or are there any packages out there that allow GNOME and GNOME-based desktops to have different wallpapers in multi-monitor setups (whether in repos, git, deb files, tarballs, or PPAs)?
    Don't like Unity? Hate it? Not your cup of coffee? Ubuntu does provide choices. There's GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE, and now MATE and Cinnamon. Take your pick

Beans

Re: Different wallpapers on different monitors in dual-monitor setup

I'm wondering this same thing.

Beans

Re: Different wallpapers on different monitors in dual-monitor setup

Bump. This is a question I have had for some time in Gnome. I'd like to use Variety or Wally to pull random wallpapers, one for each screen. As it stands now, I can use Nitrogen to set them and run it as an autostart to restore. But I do not get random wallpapers.