Thread: Skype problems with big CPU usage, crashes, and soun disapears!

Beans

Skype problems with big CPU usage, crashes, and soun disapears!

Hello to everyone, i have a HP pavilion, dual core 2.4, 3GB ram, ubuntu 11.10 and win 7 dual boot.
    So my problem is, when i make a skype call my cpu grows to 70%!!
    my notebook fan starts to work really loud, (like if I'm playing the new batelfield ) after 10-15 min the sound disapeares from the hole system!! and after that skype crashes!
    i mast to restart my pc to make the sound work again!!

And please help, i need skype to work perfect because i use it for my work, and i don't wont to go back to windows because skype dosen't work

Sory for my englesh!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Skype problems with big CPU usage, crashes, and soun disapears!

Sorry, Skype is badly maintained for Linux and suffers from poor compatibility. Now that Microsoft has bought Skype, I don't suppose we can expect any improvement.

I have given up on Skype. Once my credit is finished, I will not use it any more.

I wish I had a better solution, because Skype is (or used to be) a fantastic product.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I'm using a netbook computer (Samsung N150 Plus) with Ubuntu 11.10. I've noticed mainly when I'm runing it in battery mode that when I start Skype sometimes the whole system seems to freeze. I cannot move the mouse and the hard disk seems to be working crazy since the hard disk light is blinking all the time. Sometimes I can kill the process through the Terminal and other times I have to wait until the process closes itself.

I guess that one of the best options we have for now for chatting and talking is Google Talk.

Beans

Red face Re: Skype problems with big CPU usage, crashes, and soun disapears!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    Sorry, Skype is badly maintained for Linux and suffers from poor compatibility. Now that Microsoft has bought Skype, I don't suppose we can expect any improvement.
    Skype for Windows isn't perfectly maintained either.

Believe it or not, Skype actually runs on other distros. Did the Ubuntu maintainers forget that it only runs with 32-bit compatible libraries as a dependency?

I came back for the Humble Bundle support, and have been thoroughly disappointed by Lubuntu.

Skype returns the error "Aborted (core dumped)" in the terminal, and Synaptic crashes half of the time when I reload the repositories.

I'm out. Arch was bleeding edge and more stable than this! Gentoo was a pain to update and had too much manual configuration, but things at least worked when I was done. Yes, even Skype, even with that old under-maintained portage tree.

Screw it, I guess I try out OpenSuse like my buddy keeps telling me to do. I'm leery of RPMs, but we'll see. Their forums at least point to solutions, and their wiki is comprehensible. Can't say the same for here.

--------------------------
    Wow... Deluge-gtk didn't install libtorrent-rasterbar as a dependency? 0___0 Is Canonical hiring bug hunters/fixers? Because all of this is too pervasive, too deep, and too un-supported for me to use as my OS without getting paid to fix it. I don't mind filing the occasional bug report, or even recompiling a small library - but I can't deal with this.

No wonder people are sticking to Lucid - that was a an awesome release. 5 years of supporting the LTS, you say?
    Last edited by ZazzyE; June 4th, 2012 at 06:38 AM. Reason: adding to the pile of wtf.

Beans

Hello everyone! Has anyone had a hard time with their video? I'm on a call right now, I can see the other person but they can't see me. I'm on a toshiba satellite and have no problems making the test call. Any solutions would be great. Thank you in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by beardfarmer View Post
    I'm on a call right now, I can see the other person but they can't see me.
    Get it working in test mode first (available from the options). There is a known bug with a workaround, but the workaround is a pain.

See the last post in my thread. You have to do this every time you restart the computer if you want to use Skype.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    Get it working in test mode first (available from the options). There is a known bug with a workaround, but the workaround is a pain.

See the last post in my thread. You have to do this every time you restart the computer if you want to use Skype.
    Thank you Sir. When I do the test in option my cam works just fine. I will read your thread right now. Thnak you