Thread: Upstart issue in chroot Precise

Beans

Upstart issue in chroot Precise

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04/Precise in a chroot on my Synology NAS and all's running well except, when updating packages with apt, I get errors like this:

Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused

It seems to be an issue with Upstart in a chroot environment, and was supposed to have been fixed back in August last year. Indeed, chroot compatibility is listed as a feature of 12.04, yet I'm still encountering the error!

I've implemented a workaround from the comments of the original bug, whereby you do the following:

Code:
    dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl
    ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl
    ... and that works insofar as the apt upgrade now finishes "successfully", but surely I shouldn't need to do this in 12.04? And how does this workaround work exactly? Isn't it just tricking apt into thinking its command has succeeded, whereas actually it's done nothing? And if that's the case then I'd assume there'd be possible/probable side effects?

As it is I'm close to getting my ideal setup on this system but I'm being scuppered by this issue. The real problem is that I don't have enough knowledge of apt, upstart or chroot to know whether I should be concerned!

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Max

Beans

Re: Upstart issue in chroot Precise

Hi, just replying with a big thank you since I ran into this same issue in a precise chroot and your workaround was a perfect solution for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumFish View Post
    I've implemented a workaround from the comments of the original bug, whereby you do the following:

Code:
    dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl
    ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl
    ... and that works insofar as the apt upgrade now finishes "successfully", but surely I shouldn't need to do this in 12.04? And how does this workaround work exactly? Isn't it just tricking apt into thinking its command has succeeded, whereas actually it's done nothing? And if that's the case then I'd assume there'd be possible/probable side effects?
    Yeah, that's it. Not apt but upstart. The link makes all commands that deal with starting and stopping system services to succeed unconditionally. If you do want to run a daemon in your chroot then you may have some issues to work out. If the chroot is just for testing or building, as in my use case, then there's no problem.