Re: Quantal Alpha One Experiments

BTW why no Xubuntu images?

The best way to kill FUD is with an official statement

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    BTW why no Xubuntu images?

The best way to kill FUD is with an official statement
    No conspiracy, the xubuntu team (like a couple other flavors) decided to skip alpha one and continue focusing on development. I expect we'll see everyone shipping an alpha 2 image.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Well it just puzzled me were CDs were being mounted since the VBoxGuest additions wouldn't auto run.

Turns out it was mounted in /run/media/myusername/VBox... instead of being under /media

Now thats sorted its time to go breaking something

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unhappy Re: Quantal Alpha One Experiments

Quote Originally Posted by quids View Post
    Well it just puzzled me were CDs were being mounted since the VBoxGuest additions wouldn't auto run.

Turns out it was mounted in /run/media/myusername/VBox... instead of being under /media

Now thats sorted its time to go breaking something
    There was some esoteric explanation of when the utterly superfluous /run....../myusername was added, with no explanation of whether we're stuck with this useless data or how to get rd of it or not....

I do have an exec that does umount /dev/sda5 then mkdir /media/whatever and mount /dev/sda5 /media/whatever

Jerry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Successfully installed Alpha 1 today using the ISO image booted directly from Grub without burning a CD. The first two attempts failed early on but the third time it installed correctly even though I didn't change anything. I couldn't figure out why the first two aborted fairly early in the installation.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    There was some esoteric explanation of when the utterly superfluous /run....../myusername was added, with no explanation of whether we're stuck with this useless data or how to get rd of it or not....

I do have an exec that does umount /dev/sda5 then mkdir /media/whatever and mount /dev/sda5 /media/whatever

Jerry
    There are a few advantages to doing it the new way.

Firstly, /run is tmpfs, whereas /media was (by default) a real directory on the rootfs, meaning that to mount filesystems under /media, the user needed write access to that directory. This also meant that read-only rootfs was out of the question.

Secondly, there existed a possibility for mountpoint collisions. Since the system attempts to mount removable filesystems at a mountpoint that matches the filesystem label (or failing that, volume ID), what if two concurrently logged in users each plugged in a USB stick that had a label like "Photos"?

Thirdly, the filesystem permissions of removable FAT/NTFS are usually set such that only one user can access them (uid/gid set to current user), so it doesn't make much sense to put them somewhere communal like before. If a filesystem really does need to be accessed by multiple users, it's probably more likely that it's permanently attached, and mounted at boot time via /etc/fstab.

How Ubuntu determines under which user's name to mount removable media (if multiple users are logged in)... that I'm not sure of.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12