Thread: Older versions of Ubuntu

Beans

Older versions of Ubuntu

Just an FMI (For My Info) question.

As I start perusing this forum, I notice alot of the tenured members are using older versions of Ubuntu than 12.04. I use 12.04 and am loving it. Is there an advantage to using 10.XX or 11.XX?

Thanks,

Scott

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Older versions of Ubuntu

It's just preference , 10.04 has the Gnome 2 desktop and is supported until next year . If a distribution is still supported and works there is no reason to upgrade. I get too curious and can't keep my finger off the download key when a new version comes out.

Though 12.04 is supported for 5 years I will be installing 12.10 . I use Ubuntu for learning and pleasure while others use it in their professional lives and don't want to be upgrading or installing a new version every 6 months.

I think this is one reason long term support releases have gone to 5 years.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Definitely preference. I have one desktop that everyone uses. It's solid and has 10.04 on it. It works, is fast and everyone knows the OS. Switching to Unity will be an adjustment so for now I just leave it. On my system I like new technologies so I tend to upgrade as releases come out and I revert back if I don't care for them. 10.10 wasn't a big enough change to impress me, 11.04 was buggy and slow. 11.10 was nice and 12.04 has fixed some Unity issues. I'd say just give one a spin if it seems interesting and see which you like better...but don't fall in love with Gnome 2 since it's quickly being replaced by Gnome 3 in most all distros. Fuduntu still uses Gnome 2, along with Cent OS (till like 2020 or something way out there), Red Hat, etc.

Beans

Many people have not updated their signatures and even though it says 9.10, they are actually using a much newer version. Also, 12.04 just came out and some people would wait for most of the bugs to be discovered and fixed, before they transition. Another reason may be that ever since Unity, the graphical requirements of Ubuntu increased and some older video card will not run Unity at all.

If 12.04 works well for you, use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I am using 12.04 but have installed the MATE 1.2 desktop which is a fork of gnome 2. It is very easy to install with Unity and you select which desktop you want when you log in.

http://mate-desktop.org/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Okay, that makes sense.

I have just switched to Ubuntu on my laptop since installing an SSD and know virtually nothing about it. I haven't experienced any bugs in 12.04, but then again, I am not a power user by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks for the replies, and I hope not to annoy the lot of you with my inane questions.

Scott

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by garyzw View Post
    I am using 12.04 but have installed the MATE 1.2 desktop which is a fork of gnome 2. It is very easy to install with Unity and you select which desktop you want when you log in.

http://mate-desktop.org/
    Wow, Mate looks just like Windows. Is its purpose to make the transition to another operating system easier?

Scott

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by peirceman View Post
    Wow, Mate looks just like Windows. Is its purpose to make the transition to another operating system easier?

Scott
    If you put it that way. MATE is a fork of GNOME 2 (which acts a lot like Windows) and it was made by devs who don't want to see the classic GNOME 2 die (even though there's GNOME Classic in GNOME 3). KDE, Xfce and LXDE also resembles Windows in one way or another, while Unity and GNOME Shell completely redesigned the UI and went for a newer desktop paradigm (which is both good and bad at the same time)
    So if you feel uncomfortable in Unity, go for the other DEs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

To in stall MATE on 12.04 just input the following lines in the Terminal then reboot and select MATE-- if you want to go back to the Unity desktop just reboot and select Unity at log in

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install mate-core
    sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment

Zorin OS is more for Windows users to transition to Linux, Zorin is based on Ubuntu.

http://zorin-os.com

Quote Originally Posted by peirceman View Post

Scott