Thread: 12.10 installation fails again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

12.10 installation fails again

Hi Folks, once again I tried to install the daily. I used a DVD instead of a USB. Downloaded the latest build ( june 4 ). It crashes 85% through "Select and install software" It shows the error "Installation step failed". I"m going to try to save this install and see if I can get it going manually. Any ideas would only help.

Thanks sammiev
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans
    Distro

Re: 12.10 installation fails again

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    Hi Folks, once again I tried to install the daily. I used a DVD instead of a USB. Downloaded the latest build ( june 4 ). It crashes 85% through "Select and install software" It shows the error "Installation step failed". I"m going to try to save this install and see if I can get it going manually. Any ideas would only help.

Thanks sammiev
    I had this problem since Unity started. What I have found successful most often with earlier releases, builds and alphas is use the <Install Ubuntu> from the Unity icon in the live session (if you can get that far).

Why is works ?? I have no idea. at this point
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro

Tried to install it every which way. Hope they have have it fixed soon. thanks!
    UsingTheTerminal

( Read this everyday )

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: 12.10 installation fails again

2nd try install O.K. using primitive linux dd.

Failed to run with "try ubuntu" getting Bug: unable to handle linux1 null pointer dereference at 000000f4.

Re-booted selecting "install" and it installed, A bunch of screen artifacts but it did go O.K.

Compaq Presario 3.3 GHz celeron, ATI radeon xpress 200.

Jerry

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post

Failed to run with "try ubuntu" getting Bug: unable to handle linux1 null pointer dereference at 000000f4.

Re-booted selecting "install" and it installed, A bunch of screen artifacts but it did go O.K.

Jerry
    Thanks Jerry, I will wait till tomorrow as I tried 4 or 5 times every which way. Do not mind testing but do need to run for a few hours each day.
    UsingTheTerminal

( Read this everyday )

Beans

Thanks for braving the daily isos! I feel like a broken record, but alpha 1 had a lot of these types of nasty bugs. When you encounter them please do try and report them in the isotracker (not sure if these were or not -- I trust so), and file a bug on them. We don't all have the same hardware, nor do we stress the system in the same ways.

If you report it, and it's critical and not receiving attention please feel free to PM me on the forum, or otherwise contact me. I would be happy to raise the bug for you. Sadly if you don't report it, it's difficult to get any visibility on the bug. And it will most assuredly stay broken ;-(

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: 12.10 installation fails again

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post

Jerry
    6 June daily live current i386 .iso "Try Ubuntu..." failed same way on 3.33 GHz pc with ATI Radeon Express 200.

Rebooted, pushed F6, added
    nomodeset
    to the boot line and it ran successfully. Seems to me that should be default on install disk since "modeset" is supposed to make switching users, logging on/off faster, I forget what else not likely to be used on an install disk.

Now 6 June "Try Ubuntu..." did work on my netbook and my wide notebook, so that's 2 successes to 1 failure which is all the pc's I have for testing.

Either "Install..." with a lot of ugly artifacts and garbage fonts did work, or "Try Ubuntu..." with "nomodeset" did work so it's not a showstopper.

Yes there's a launchpad bug # filed I forget the number.

Jerry