Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running ms office 10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Running ms office 10

Hi, can someone show me a step by step on point me to an appropriate site on how to run ms office 2010 on wine 1.5

Thanks in Advance
    Hi, I am Ihsan: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/inashdeen
    Kasr El Ain Medical School,Cairo University, Egypt. Malaysian Linux user, Free sourcer and part time geek since 2008.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Running ms office 10

Thread moved to Wine.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks. Honestly, I don't know how to open this thread in wine.
    Kasr El Ain Medical School,Cairo University, Egypt. Malaysian Linux user, Free sourcer and part time geek since 2008.

Beans
    Distro

In general, it wont run. I had found a tutorial a long time ago that showed a lot of .dll files which you had to get manually in order for it to somewhat work, but still not functional. If you need it badly either dualboot or use virtualbox if your PC can handle it.
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans

You may have better luck with playonlinux as it does help installation with MS office better.
    You can get the latest playonlinux here:

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/

Though personally I say Librfeoffice does the same job in the end

Beans
    Distro

i had tried to get it to run in PlayOnLinux, wont work...just errors all over. Gave up, got myself RT se7en, took my windows 7 dvd, and threw out all features/drivers/stuff i wont need to run it in a Virtualbox. End result was a 1,5 GB install which runs without networking (and not to mention without all the features)

p.s. Dont use RT se7en....it took me a whole weekend to find all the components i had to keep for it to run and get it to 1,5 gigs..
    Last edited by Basher101; June 4th, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans
    Distro

I don't think playonlinux could run ms office 10 as of now. well, i have red article saying it would work. i actually tried, and it work, but its too buggy on 1.4. on 1.5, it didnt work at all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

By the way ... MS Office 2010 is NOT Office 10. MS Office 2010 is actually Office 14.

Microsoft likes to have two different names for the same product -- the one they advertise to the public (Office 2010) and the one they use internally (Office 14).
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you have any special requirements which make Microsoft Office your only option?

Unless you have a specific reason then you'd do better to just use LibreOffice.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

LibreOffice is absolutely not a good suggestion for someone who needs Office.

If you use PlayOnLinux's PPA, you'll be able to upgrade to the latest version. I believe that the latest version supports Office 2010. If you update and find that it isn't supported by default, they have a script in their script repositories that will install Office 2010. This is the easiest way to get it working.

After you do that, check out my HowTo about associating your filetypes with PlayOnLinux installed Office. It also shows how to get a shortcut for Word, Excel, etc. into a Dash search.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast