Thread: Tor cannot bind to port 9050

Beans

Tor cannot bind to port 9050

when i run tor, it cannot bind to port 9050, (tor is not running, i checked in sys moniter) ive looked at the settings in vidalia and it does not offer a way to change that port as far as i can see, maybe theres a way to change the port by editing the torrc file? btw port 9051 works just fine and vidalia offers to change that port but why not the other? i am running a clean install of ubuntu precise pangolin.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Tor cannot bind to port 9050

Post moved to its own thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

All of that stuff on the post you replied to has become redundant since the Tor browser bundle was released. All you need to do is download the bundle and run it, no need to even install. Messing around with ports and config files is a thing of the past.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by MetaX360 View Post
    when i run tor, it cannot bind to port 9050, (tor is not running, i checked in sys moniter) ive looked at the settings in vidalia and it does not offer a way to change that port as far as i can see, maybe theres a way to change the port by editing the torrc file? btw port 9051 works just fine and vidalia offers to change that port but why not the other? i am running a clean install of ubuntu precise pangolin.
    Do a 'netstat -ltn' and/or 'lsof -i' to see if something is taking port 9050. Then do a 'man torrc' and search for '9050' which will lead you to your answer:

SocksPort
    PORT
    Advertise this port to listen for connections from Socks-speaking applications. Set this to 0 if you don't want to allow application connections. (Default: 9050)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jim_deadlock View Post
    All of that stuff on the post you replied to has become redundant since the Tor browser bundle was released. All you need to do is download the bundle and run it, no need to even install. Messing around with ports and config files is a thing of the past.
    Tor is not just used for webbrowsing.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013