Thread: iwlwifi 11n_disable=0 permanent fix

Beans

iwlwifi 11n_disable=0 permanent fix

Hi all, I'm a newbie to linux so please bear with me. I've searched and can't find how to make this fix permanent. In summary I can get my wireless to work by entering a couple of lines at the terminal (see below). However I can't figure out how to make this a permanent fix.

I have 12.04 installed on my laptop (lenovo x220) and couldn't get my wireless to work properly. It would connect to the router and get a valid IP address, but I couldn't ping the router or get any internet access. After searching around I found the issue was that wireless n was disabled. Typing the following in the terminal fixes the issue:
    sudo modprobe iwlwifi -r
    sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=0

Wireless works!

I then created a file /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf and entered the following lines
    options iwlwifi -r
    options iwlwifi 11n_disable=0

After rebooting the first line seems to work because the wireless is disabled, however it doesn't reconnect. If I then type sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=0 in the terminal I get this error:
    FATAL: Error inserting iwlwifi (/lib/modules/3.2.0-24-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

It doesn't matter what I name the file, I get the same error. As soon as I delete the file and try that line again at the terminal, wireless works!

I'm not really sure what I've done wrong...can someone help?

Cheers,
    Yas

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: iwlwifi 11n_disable=0 permanent fix

Quote Originally Posted by yasitha View Post
    I have 12.04 installed on my laptop (lenovo x220) and couldn't get my wireless to work properly. It would connect to the router and get a valid IP address, but I couldn't ping the router or get any internet access. After searching around I found the issue was that wireless n was disabled. Typing the following in the terminal fixes the issue:
    sudo modprobe iwlwifi -r

Wireless works!
    simple work around would be.

make script and place in /usr/sbin/
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env bash
    sudo modprobe iwlwifi -r
    save that ^^ in /usr/sbin as wireless-fix

open terminal
    Code:
    cd /usr/sbin/
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x wireless-fix
    Code:
    gnome-session-properties
    Click on Add
    name : wireless-fix
    command: /usr/sbin/wireless-fix
    comment: temp fix till I fix upstream

Click add again

This will be a temp fix. Next post I will talk about Upstream and fixing the source code its-self
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

can we also see a
    Code:
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
    if it is not there please find and show us
    Code:
    sudo find / -name "iwlwifi.conf"
    also a
    Code:
    dmesg
    would also help Take out sensitive info plz
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans

remove this line
    Code:
     options iwlwifi -r
    it is not necessary since the modules is parsing all the files before they load it

the options must be defined in
    Code:
    modinfo iwlwifi
    or else it will spit errors
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by idoitprone View Post
    remove this line
    Code:
     options iwlwifi -r
    it is not necessary since the modules is parsing all the files before they load it
    Looks like that was the issue, removed that line from the .conf file and it works fine.

Thanks all for your help!

Yas

Beans

An update on this.

I don't think this issue had anything to do with wireless n being disabled (at least not directly). It turns out that booting my laptop without it being plugged in causes the problem.