Thread: Keyring did not get unlocked

Beans

Keyring did not get unlocked

After I log in, I keep getting a message saying that the keyring did not get unlocked, and I need to enter my keyring password.

How do I fix this, I'm not using auto-login and the passwords are the same for both login and keyring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Lightbulb Re: Keyring did not get unlocked

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Keyring did not get unlocked

That's not a fix, it's a workaround which creates a gaping security hole. Does anyone have a fix? It's very annoying. Why isn't my keyring getting unlocked when I log in? I'm the only user on this machine and I use a password to log in. Once I'm in, I shouldn't be pestered for my password again (unless, of course, I'm trying to sudo something).

Beans

Bump.

My netbook with 12.04 has recently started doing this out of the blue. I have vague memories of having this same problem once on my desktop with 10.04 but can't remember how I fixed it. (I need to start keeping record of this stuff... haha!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

This usually happens when you have your computer set to automatically login to your account. Since you are not entering your password to login the keyring is not unlocked, and must be later unlocked. I think there is a way around this using pam, but I can't rememeber how. I did it on my wife's computer a long time ago, and now I can't remember how to do it for my computer.

If you are having this happen without using automatic login it is because your user password and your keyring password are different. To fix this just change the keyring password to be the same as your user password using the method described on http://davestechsupport.com/blog/200...sword-keyring/.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A fix for this would be great as I have exactly the same problem, my computer is set to automatically login as I am the only one using this computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

I would also appreciate a fix for this. All was well until a couple of days ago when the dreaded keyring password entry box appeared (I also autologin). I did make some changes to Empathy around the same time and have since unchecked the "automatically connect on startup" box in Empathy - it made no difference.

How can I find out which application(s) wants to unlock the keyring?