Thread: Cant reboot after removing xserver

Beans

Cant reboot after removing xserver

Hi, there, im new a newbie, i installed ubuntu 10.10 and tweaked everything in it, but only couldnt run compiz, so in my search for a workaround i ended reamoving the xserver-xorg and its releated dependencies,now when i reebot im just left with a black screen no gui, all i can access is the terminal in the recovery mode! is there a work around to get back my gui,its frustrating cause i have lots of important files and programme stored there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Cant reboot after removing xserver

Welcome. 10.10 is no longer supported. I wouldn't go there. 10.04 LTS is a long term release supported until April next year. Solid and stable. 12.04 LTS has just been released and is supported for the next five years. I, personally, wouldn't go there either but I need stability and it might work ok for you. Good luck. Forget 10.10.

PS: 10.04 can be upgraded to the next LTS release, 12.04, with a couple of clicks when you want to go there (perhaps when 10.04 is end-of-life).

As for getting the files currently residing on the drive: do you have an external drive? If so, boot from the LiveCD and backup up your files, reinstall.

Beans

Yeah i can access the files through the live cd,but i dont want to reinstall,i have had downloaded lots of programmes and applications,which will be lost when i reinstall??? or is there a way to tranfer the programmes from my old install to a new one...!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, what you could do it open Update Manager and update to 11.04 (if this still works on an unsupported release). That might refurbish you xserver issue and also the overcome the fact you are using an unsupported release.

You will get no updates for 10.10, security or otherwise. Not ideal.

Beans

thanks i found a simple soultion,i.e. to download and reinstall xserver through the terminal,but i cant access my broadband connection in the terminal,is there a way to access it internet connection in the termianal,if so then my problem will be solved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 9kkmin View Post
    ... is there a way to access it internet connection in the termianal,if so then my problem will be solved
    That problem will be solved but this and any further issues aren't: you are using an unsupported, eventually unsecure with obsolete program versions, OS.

If you persist with it that is up to you but not a great idea. Upgrade through Update Manager if you want to keep your programs/settings and move to a release that is supported.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 4th, 2012 at 06:13 AM.

Beans

Eventually i will have to upgrade,im planing to upgrade through the update manager in my install but all i can access now is the terminal,can you guide me through of getting the internet connection in the terminal,im using a mobile broadband connection.