View Poll Results: What license for a big program/OS do you prefer?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • GPL

31 59.62%
  • LGPL

5 9.62%
  • BSD

10 19.23%
  • Public domain/no restrictions whatsoever.

6 11.54%
  • Artistic License

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wich free software License do you prefer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Which free software License do you prefer?

I voted LGPL - basically for the same reasons as BFW89.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Which free software License do you prefer?

GPL, because freedom is a strange and paradoxical thing (and Sharing Is Good).

Groet, Erik

Beans

Re: Wich free software License do you prefer?

I don't see what the appeal of public domain is, under public domain anyone can use your work and they can claim that they wrote it. Under the BSD licence you get basically a public domain licence only they include a clause that says 1. You must give us credit if you make a fork off of it (like Sony and the PSP) and 2. You can't sue us if you install this in a nuclear power station and it causes a meltdown.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

LGPL.
    Altough Free Software is great ideal, I don't think it is realistic to think that everybody can/wants to live without proprietary software. There will always be niche markets(eg. games, professional/scientific software) that will buy proprietary software. So you shouln't completely lock out proprietary software if you want more people using GNU/Linux
    For non-niche markets(OS, Office, Internet,...) free software is preferable.
    "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89
    I don't see what the appeal of public domain is, under public domain anyone can use your work and they can claim that they wrote it. Under the BSD licence you get basically a public domain licence only they include a clause that says 1. You must give us credit if you make a fork off of it (like Sony and the PSP) and 2. You can't sue us if you install this in a nuclear power station and it causes a meltdown.

Well, in my post I did mention the ideal world, and in the ideal world people wouldn't just take your code as theirs

But really, I know what you mean. However, code is code. That's it. Code doesn't have a rich history behind it, detailing the painstaking hours that a single programmer put into it. Software is easy to copy and steal, and in the case of open-source, take credit for. This is unfortunate because it somewhat forces programmers to ensure that they get credit. But is that because they don't want their project getting botched by someone who doesn't have a personal stake in the project, or is it because they want to ensure recognition for their work? Any liscense is basically a means for the programmer to feed his ego and say "look what I did" while still allowing people to do something with the code.

In the ideal world, people would just respect other peoples' works and not take advantage of them, but in the real-world, certainly public domain will never work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12