Thread: problem with temperature on a hp 4310s running ubuntu 12.04

Beans

problem with temperature on a hp 4310s running ubuntu 12.04

the laptop is a hp 4310s with :
    GPU : Radeon HD 4300 Series card (this goes up to 72-73 C)
    CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6670 @ 2.20GHz
    Running ubuntu 12.04 32 bit with gnome shell
    the problem is that the gpu goes 72-73 C on startup which i think i too high.
    i have tried the proprietary drivers but the problem is that when i install it the cpu usage and temp goes up.
    Today i found out that my processor is 64 bit, the question is if i install the 64 bit will the temperature go down?
    any other fix for this temperature problem?
    i love ubuntu and i don't want to change the os.
    P.S not sure which prefix to choose...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: problem with temperature on a hp 4310s running ubuntu 12.04

72-73 degrees isn't something to really worry about for a laptop. But if it still concerns you, check out your bios to see if there is an option for fan control (if your laptop has a fan, I assume). The 64 bit thing only deals with memory addresses that the computer uses. It shouldn't effect the temp of your laptop though.

-Red
    Everything in the future is a wave, everything in the past is a particle. -Lawrence Bragg

Parabola: https://parabolagnulinux.org/
    Completely freed... Libre GNU/Linux !!!

Beans

Re: problem with temperature on a hp 4310s running ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade20XX View Post
    72-73 degrees isn't something to really worry about for a laptop. But if it still concerns you, check out your bios to see if there is an option for fan control (if your laptop has a fan, I assume). The 64 bit thing only deals with memory addresses that the computer uses. It shouldn't effect the temp of your laptop though.

-Red
    yeah i know, but i was kinda hopping for some optimization for graphics drivers, guess not.
    just found out jupiter applet, works great, now my gpu temp is 55 , and my processor core0 31 core1 35