Thread: Next step: full installation

Beans

Arrow Next step: full installation

I am tiptoeing into Linux. I ran a live usb stick. Then I ran a dual boot system from wubi for a while. I now realized that I don't need windows on this machine. I am ready to have a full installation of ubuntu.

Is there a way to do get to a full installation without back up or file loss from ubuntu (I don't care about my windows files.)

Thx everybody.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Next step: full installation

Probably not for a beginner. Any files you want to keep, you need to backup. I wouldn't trust any migration tool with important files. Backup, backup, backup. It is pretty easy after all.

Here's some other thoughts http://askubuntu.com/questions/635/h...egular-install

If you are comfortable with Linux partitioning and names, then this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MigrateWubi appears to be the answer you seek.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Migrating Wubi may be more work than backing up Ubuntu files and using the entire disk in a clean installation. There is just simply more that could go wrong with the migration option. If the migration fails you will need backup anyway.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; June 3rd, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Migrating is easy using the script. The only work is to create the partitions.

Migration doesn't modify Windows or Wubi, it will only migrate to an empty partition. You don't even have to install the grub bootloader to try it out (you can boot it from the Wubi grub menu).

People that say it's difficult or could break things obviously haven't tried it or understand what it does. It's designed for absolute beginners and it's designed to be fool-proof.