Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Ubuntu on a mini PC?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    35

    Re: Ubuntu on a mini PC?

    I really appreciate all the replys, very usefull information. I will make sure to vist a vendor and try out diffrent laptops, to test screen size, weight and preformance.

    I will post when i have made my decision, to see what you guys think.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Ubuntu on a mini PC?

    sicne you have time to do the testing, can you let us know how the overall speed feels like.

    i did soem more online research as i was looking for something very portable, light and small. and i can't decied is it better to get a tablet or netbook. while some say netbooks are fine and have good baterry life other reviews scare me on the general speed. how fast are actually these CPU? some say speed is descent others that it loks sort of like an enhanced P III.

    i have an old notebook with 1,2Ghz athlon, 20 GB hdd and 256MB ram. Chrunchbang works fine on it at the moment (very stable, most stuff recognised out of the box and working - i.e. volume buttons, dual screen...). ot's an ok laptop for browsing, but the porblem is

    RAM can't really be increased much (max 384MB) and
    most importanly - it's heavy and battery even when new can last about 2 hours at most. even in winXP . must beabout 10 year old maschine.
    as a bonus the frame is cracking (too bad because i really like the screen).

    i could live with most stuff, but it being heavy doesn't really make it that portable. also the battery life - 2 hours is not enough IMO...
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Beans
    9

    Re: Ubuntu on a mini PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    sicne you have time to do the testing, can you let us know how the overall speed feels like.

    i did soem more online research as i was looking for something very portable, light and small. and i can't decied is it better to get a tablet or netbook. while some say netbooks are fine and have good baterry life other reviews scare me on the general speed. how fast are actually these CPU? some say speed is descent others that it loks sort of like an enhanced P III.

    i have an old notebook with 1,2Ghz athlon, 20 GB hdd and 256MB ram. Chrunchbang works fine on it at the moment (very stable, most stuff recognised out of the box and working - i.e. volume buttons, dual screen...). ot's an ok laptop for browsing, but the porblem is

    RAM can't really be increased much (max 384MB) and
    most importanly - it's heavy and battery even when new can last about 2 hours at most. even in winXP . must beabout 10 year old maschine.
    as a bonus the frame is cracking (too bad because i really like the screen).

    i could live with most stuff, but it being heavy doesn't really make it that portable. also the battery life - 2 hours is not enough IMO...
    I'd avoid a tablet. Honestly, they are cool tech but not nearly as useful as having a keyboard. Even after months of owning a nook booting android off an sd card and my phone running android; I still can't do any legitimate typing on either of them. Touch screen typing is slow, cumbersome, and difficult to be accurate due to lack of feedback for me. Touchscreens are good as simple devices for calling/reading/consuming media/etc, but not creating or developing anything.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK Lake District
    Beans
    2,865
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Ubuntu on a mini PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jugsins View Post
    I'd avoid a tablet. Honestly, they are cool tech but not nearly as useful as having a keyboard. Even after months of owning a nook booting android off an sd card and my phone running android; I still can't do any legitimate typing on either of them. Touch screen typing is slow, cumbersome, and difficult to be accurate due to lack of feedback for me. Touchscreens are good as simple devices for calling/reading/consuming media/etc, but not creating or developing anything.
    Yes. I agree
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu on a mini PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jugsins View Post
    I'd avoid a tablet. Honestly, they are cool tech but not nearly as useful as having a keyboard. Even after months of owning a nook booting android off an sd card and my phone running android; I still can't do any legitimate typing on either of them. Touch screen typing is slow, cumbersome, and difficult to be accurate due to lack of feedback for me. Touchscreens are good as simple devices for calling/reading/consuming media/etc, but not creating or developing anything.
    Very well said- I decided on a netbook myself. I bought an Acer Aspire One 722. Ubuntu runs great on it out of the box, though I was holding my breath with the wireless card and the ATI graphics card.
    I wound up installing Bodhi Linux on it and could not be happier. Boots in about 25 seconds, the Enlightenment composite manager gives me sweet graphics effects, and even heavyweight applications like Firefox perform perfectly.
    Enlightenment can be configured however you want; you can make your own radical desktop environment to suit your needs or stick with a stock taskbar and start button type arrangement.
    Big +1 for Bodhi.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    4

    Re: Ubuntu on a mini PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by sebastian.s View Post
    So this fall i will go to college, and i need a laptop/netbook for my studies i am mostly going to use it for email, word processing, create presentations etc, it is not going to be used for hard-core virtual machines. Ofcourse i would like to use Ubuntu on it!

    So i have my eyes set on this mini PC.

    HP Mini 210-4120eo
    Price: 445 USD.

    • 10,1" LED-screen
    • Intel Atom N2800
    • 1GB DDR3 RAM
    • 320GB harddrive
    • Intel® Graphics 3650
    • 9 hours of battery
    • Beats Audio
    • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3650

    I don't have much experience with ubuntu on a mini PC, i would like to hear your opinions. Should i buy it? If you have any tips be sure to post.



    If you have further questions about anything just ask.
    guess I should chime in here, although it is probably too late. I am writing this on my new HP Mini, N2800 and 2GB RAM. It's quicker than my Lenovo, quick to start, quick to surf, just a lot quicker than any of my other machines - almost as fast as some of my macs. Here's my config:

    HP Mini 210-4000 (Customized)
    Intel Atom N2800
    2GB DDR3
    500 GB5400 RPM Hard Drive
    10.1 WSVGA LED-BL 1024x600
    Webcam with Integrated Digital Mic
    802.11 WLAN

    Running Ubuntu 12.04

    I love this machine!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK Lake District
    Beans
    2,865
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Ubuntu on a mini PC?

    I love this machine!
    Thanks to Ubuntu !
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mauritius
    Beans
    56
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Ubuntu on a mini PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by lmsart View Post
    guess I should chime in here, although it is probably too late. I am writing this on my new HP Mini, N2800 and 2GB RAM. It's quicker than my Lenovo, quick to start, quick to surf, just a lot quicker than any of my other machines - almost as fast as some of my macs. Here's my config:

    HP Mini 210-4000 (Customized)
    Intel Atom N2800
    2GB DDR3
    500 GB5400 RPM Hard Drive
    10.1 WSVGA LED-BL 1024x600
    Webcam with Integrated Digital Mic
    802.11 WLAN

    Running Ubuntu 12.04

    I love this machine!
    I know it's a little late but are you serious here? I mean you have an Atom N2800 which comes with PowerVR graphics. This chip has the GMA 3650 graphics processor and there's no good driver for that on any Linux.

    The best driver you can get is from the PPA with only 2D support. I have a Toshiba NB520 myself with the same specs as yours and it's slow as hell on Ubuntu. It's a little faster on Windows because of better drivers but seriously the computer is unusable on Linux.

    Idk man maybe you're not telling the truth

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Winsconsin
    Beans
    52
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Ubuntu on a mini PC?

    you can get a decent laptop for 299-599 that would be good for what you need but netbooks are for the most part useless as a day to day pc a used pc is a good option i recommend geeks.com they have windows xp notebooks up to windows7 core i7 laptops and plenty more even used macs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •