Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop graphics problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Laptop graphics problem

Hi,

I'm not sure if here's the place to post this. I have an old (2006ish) Packard Bell laptop with Windows XP and Lubuntu on it. The graphics card is an ATI Radeon XPRESS200M 5955 with 128mb graphics ram.(other specs: 1GB ddr ram, AMD turion64 1.8GHz single core cpu) I have 2 queries:

1: A while ago I tried playing GTA San Andreas on it using Wine, but couldn't get it to do anything because the graphics were completely messed (menu had black background and blocks where each letter should've been. Also, the loading logos were just black.) I also had a similar problem with a native game (Bloboats, which now works fine) and NFS UG2 on wine. GTA SA works fine on Windows on this machine, and on another AMD desktop with a Nvidia GPU.

2: Another thing about the laptop is I now have to run Lubuntu on it as the newer Unity desktop runs quite slowly (probs about 5 fps to open the unity dash) when Gnome2 ran perfectly fluid even with some hectic animations on it. Overall the performance has dropped substantially. Lubuntu runs fine, but it has small irritations about it.

So my question: Do you think it has to do with the graphics drivers and would the continued work with the open source AMD graphics drivers eventually sort either of the problems?

The laptop has other issues like soft sound, but I won't go into that here.

Thanks a lot
    Jodie
    Last edited by Doj; August 11th, 2012 at 05:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Laptop graphics problem

Bump.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok, nudda bump. Maybe this'll break soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

2 more bumps and I'll give up.

TenPlus1 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Post Re: Laptop graphics problem

You could try installing the actual Ati binary and see if that helps with your graphics, but it could just be that your card is too slow to run the game properly...

To install binary open a terminal window and type these commands:

sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle

sudo aticonfig --initial

now reboot and see if your gfx are any better, if not then go to terminal and type this to remove drivers:

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx-amcccle

...and reboot to return to open-source drivers...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks, I will try these when I get home. What's funny is when I installed GTA SA and Need for speed U2 on windows, they worked fine...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When playing 3D games, open the ATI/AMD Panel, go to 3D advanced settings, and force "Wait for vertical refresh" in 3D always off. Make sure also "Tear free" is off when playing 3D games. Then enjoy your games at insane FPS...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Doj View Post
    Thanks, I will try these when I get home. What's funny is when I installed GTA SA and Need for speed U2 on windows, they worked fine...
    i hope you didn't do that before chekcing if ATI drivers can actually work on your card. i doubt they can:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

and you will make a mess in your system using them

what windows? XP? they are from 2001. ATI drivers worked fine on old Ubuntu as well. 12.04 is form 2012 (so 11 years later...)

if (and i think it did in this case) ATI/AMD dropped support for your card you are stuck with opesource drivers and would have to work with what you've got or move back to windows where ATI/AMD might still be supporting this chip. with some chips they work great, others not so much. you can try the xorg edgers PPA to update them to latest version.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the help guys, but after reading up on the subject for quite a while, looks like support for my chipset has been dropped even in the open source drivers for quite a while, which explains why the laptop was so good at running Ubuntu up till 8.10, but sucks now...

Looks like I'll just have to get a job and buy a replacement sometime...

Now do I mark this as solved or what? (and how? Also, how do I see my posts when I log in as opposed to browsing down the pages for them?)

Thanks again...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast