Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E-mail service that respects privacy?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: E-mail service that respects privacy?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    And even then *everything* is crackable if you have enough firepower and enough time.
    No one is going to use their time and firepower to crack your email if they really want to.

I'm not going to comment on the rest of what you said, lest I end up like this, but I'll just say it's a bunch of nonsense.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You better be sure that all your friends and contacts respect privacy and don't forward your emails, or all your efforts are a waste of time.

If you want it to be private, don't say it.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans

The OP hasn't really said what sort of privacy he wants. Does he want an encrypted service because of the content of his emails or does he just want a service that isn't mining his email/contacts/web history etc etc and selling the proceeds.

Beans

How about buying a domain name? barfbag.biz host it on your own PC, run a SMTP & IMAP server on there, and use that? Surely no one can intrude on that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1 on Lavabit. Best privacy policy I've ever seen for a free service. However, if you want the asymmetric encryption, you'll have to sign up for their premium accounts.

I recommend getting the personal account that gives you 1GB of storage. There is a single line of text ads displayed in the end of incoming messages, but I've never found those annoying in any way.

Sure, Lavabit cannot afford giving out "unlimited storage" like some providers do, so if you want a place to store large files, then sign up for Google, or Yahoo Mail, or even Dropbox...

@bailout:
    Lavabit would be a nice solution in both of those cases. They don't harvest your data, and they provide server side encryption as well. (If you pay for it, that is)

A free Lavabit account + Thunderbird/Enigmail is a win/win situation.
    Last edited by Dry Lips; June 3rd, 2012 at 11:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Colo2 View Post
    How about buying a domain name? barfbag.biz host it on your own PC, run a SMTP & IMAP server on there, and use that? Surely no one can intrude on that.
    You ought to know what you're doing when you set up a mail server. It's nothing like hosting a website from home. If your server gets compromised, you'll find yourself in big trouble.

Beans

Fair enough. I knew it was possible, but I don't know anything about it... Ignore my suggestion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Colo2 View Post
    Fair enough. I knew it was possible, but I don't know anything about it... Ignore my suggestion
    I'm not necessarily saying that it is a bad idea, I'm just pointing out that you ought to know how to secure your server properly before attempting this

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    Lavabit is a joke. 128MB max/message? 8192MB max/mailbox? No IMAP? Seriously? This is 2012, not 1999.

And even if those ridiculous limitations weren't present, how does using them instead of Google make any difference? You're still fundamentally insecure, and you're still using a 3rd party to handle email functions for you. If... *if* I were to switch away from Gmail, I would have to switch to me providing my own email capability on my own personal home-based server. And I'm not going to do that for several reasons, none the least of which are that my ISP won't allow it, and I want my stuff backed up off-site.
    IMAP does work on Lavabit, I'm using it. For me, attachment size is seldom limiting. YMMV I guess. If I needed to move or share large files via the interwebz, I'd probably look at dropbox, spideroak or something along those lines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'm using Lavabit + Thunderbird, and I have no complains. I find it a really great service.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast