Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DVD capacity

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: DVD capacity

Quote Originally Posted by pressureman View Post
    Umm... what exactly are you trying to do? I don't think you can simply incrementally apply package updates to a live CD image that has been burned to a disc. When you boot a live CD, you're essentially running from a read-only filesystem, which cannot be updated.

What you probably ought to do is use zsync to periodically download an updated version of the daily .iso (saved to hard disk), and use a DVD-RW to completely erase and re-burn the updated .iso.

Alternatively, if your computer supports booting from a USB stick, use the USB startup disk creator app to write the .iso to a USB stick, as this boots a lot faster than a DVD will.
    What I'm reading this morning is that an iso file is compressed so I would probably have to extract it, append the new update and then re-burn the new file which would not be allowed with my DVD+R.

I was just trying to make use of media that I had previously purchased (bought 6+ years ago when I bought my computer). I'll just wait until we get further in the Quantal development and just replace Precise. I did the same with Precise and enjoyed seeing things improve as I downloaded updates.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

USB sticks are getting very reasonable, example 16 GB for $6 from Amazon or 8 gb for less than $3 hardly worth my time with DVD's....

Jerry

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    USB sticks are getting very reasonable, example 16 GB for $6 from Amazon or 8 gb for less than $3 hardly worth my time with DVD's....

Jerry
    It's not a cost issue. I have disposed of technology in the past that had more computing power than what it took to land on the moon. Now that I've discovered open source platforms and the forums (this one being among the best) they spawn I try to look at what I have already accumulated to solve present needs.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by unibroker View Post
    What I'm reading this morning is that an iso file is compressed so I would probably have to extract it, append the new update and then re-burn the new file which would not be allowed with my DVD+R
    ISO files are not compressed - they're more like an (uncompressed) tar image of a directory tree. ISO 9660 (aka CDFS) is by design a read-only filesystem. To add even a single new file, you either need to re-master the entire ISO image (and burn to a new disc, or erase and rewrite a RW media), or ensure that you enabled support for multisession when you burned the first session to the disc. In the latter case, burning additional sessions lays down an entirely new ToC (Table of Contents), which is like a FAT for ISO 9660. There is no way to alter existing content on a disc, however existing files can be "virtually" deleted or overwritten, by the means of the updated ToC pointing to new content on the disc.

In short, I think you are making things much harder for yourself than they need to be.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: DVD capacity

Quote Originally Posted by pressureman View Post
    ISO files are not compressed - they're more like an (uncompressed) tar image of a directory tree. ISO 9660 (aka CDFS) is by design a read-only filesystem. To add even a single new file,...
    There's another way. With "persistent" in the linux line and a casper-rw partition, I add files, make changes, updates, ... Now the persistent casper-rw partition is on my USB in this case, however previously I've even had it on a hard drive.

With the .iso loaded on one partition and casper-rw on another, I make changes, copy files, ... reboot, everything's there, even take the usb flash to another pc (like right now) and it boots with all the added changes I did.

Now admittedly not as fast as running on the hard disk, but sure is convenient for seeing if today's daily build runs on different pc's. I'm using 3 test pc's at the moment. I do miss the frequent install errors which I'll look for when Alpha 1 comes out this week.

Another way is a USB hard disk (left over 2.5" laptop drive in a $10 case) install on one pc and take to the other two. A little longer than just doing the "persistent" USB drive.

Have fun,

Jerry

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    There's another way. With "persistent" in the linux line and a casper-rw partition, I add files, make changes, updates, ... Now the persistent casper-rw partition is on my USB in this case, however previously I've even had it on a hard drive.

With the .iso loaded on one partition and casper-rw on another, I make changes, copy files, ... reboot, everything's there, even take the usb flash to another pc (like right now) and it boots with all the added changes I did.
    That's UnionFS at work there, which allows you to merge two or more mixed read-only/read-write filesystems into a single virtual RW filesystem. UnionFS automatically substitutes updated copies of files from an underlying RO-filesystem with their counterpart from a RW filesystem member of the UnionFS mount.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12