Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD capacity

Beans
    Hidden!

DVD capacity

I made a Live DVD a couple of weeks ago to follow the development progress of Quantal. Last night I booted into it and tried to apply updates. There were approximately 270 Mb worth. After downloading the process failed in trying to write it to the DVD; out of space. According to the DVD+R packaging the capacity is supposed to be 4.7 Gb. What am I missing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: DVD capacity

I thought DVD +R is write once...need RW to be able to add?
    rt
    cheap hardware....LOTS of it

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rtalcott View Post
    I thought DVD +R is write once...need RW to be able to add?
    rt
    You are correct. I just assumed it meant that all of the space was subject to writing once.

Beans
    Distro

I do not believe this is so....write once only applying to the written media BUT I could be wrong!!!!
    rt

Beans
    Distro

it depends on if you selected to burn a multisession dvd . the area that has actually been writen to cannot be reused but area not written to can if you select "multisession" , I donn't know if cd/dvd creator or brassero has this option but K3B does .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

DVD+R/-R can store multiple sessions, but only if the disc has not been closed. Most DVD writing software closes the disc after writing a session, ensuring no further writes are possible.

DVD-RW can be written/erased multiple times using disc writing software, but can only be treated like a USB stick or floppy disk if formatted as UDF, and written in packet mode.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    it depends on if you selected to burn a multisession dvd . the area that has actually been writen to cannot be reused but area not written to can if you select "multisession" , I donn't know if cd/dvd creator or brassero has this option but K3B does .
    Thanks for the response. I just installed K3B through the Software Center. I wonder if it will be available to me in Quantal (I downloaded it from Precise). The Software Center crashes in the version of Quantal that I'm currently trying to update.

Whatever is the default DVD burner in Quantal is the one I used. I didn't see the option of multisession. I'll try K3B from Quantal later today and report back. Hopefully today I'll also mark this thread Solved!

Beans
    Distro

Yeah...I never do that BUT that's the way it works...you need to select that option...
    rt

Beans
    Hidden!

The Update Manager gave me a "Package Operation Failed" again but at least it doesn't appear to be a full DVD problem. I had K3B opened and the graph at the bottom said 3.7 Gb available.

Initially I had downloaded all the updates (about 300 of them) but got the same full disc message. I thought maybe it was because K3B wasn't opened. I opened it and downloaded 5 of the 300 as a test. That's when I got "Package Operation Failed". Might be because I didn't download all of the updates and the 5 I did are dependent on the ones I didn't?

I tried to access the K3B manual through the Help menu but was unable. I don't know if Update Manager is utilizing K3B for burning or what. It's no biggie and if I want to hassle downloading everything, including K3B, again I might try again tomorrow. At least I have K3B in Precise!

Thanks for the input.

Beans
    Distro

Umm... what exactly are you trying to do? I don't think you can simply incrementally apply package updates to a live CD image that has been burned to a disc. When you boot a live CD, you're essentially running from a read-only filesystem, which cannot be updated.

What you probably ought to do is use zsync to periodically download an updated version of the daily .iso (saved to hard disk), and use a DVD-RW to completely erase and re-burn the updated .iso.

Alternatively, if your computer supports booting from a USB stick, use the USB startup disk creator app to write the .iso to a USB stick, as this boots a lot faster than a DVD will.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast