Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VirtualBox Question?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

VirtualBox Question?

I have Windows 7 installed alongside Ubuntu on a 1TB Disc.
    My computer came with a Windows 7 Recovery partition instead of a DVD.
    Is it possible to wipe my Hard Drive (excluding the Recovery partition), install Ubuntu and then install Windows 7 in Virtualbox from the partition instead of from a DVD/CD? and if so how?
    Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: VirtualBox Question?

No, it's not possible I'm afraid. Even if it was you would be breaking the terms of your Windows license agreement.

An OEM copy of Windows (like the one your recovery partition contains) is only licensed to run on the actual hardware. To install a Windows VM you need a full retail copy of Windows and the installation CD that comes with it.
    Cheesemill

Beans

You can download the windows ISO (google around, they are out there and legal), burn it to disk and use the registration code on the back of your machine or in your paperwork to register it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This may work, but the CD you download probably won't work with the OEM key that you have. Your key will only work with a CD that is tied to the manufacturer of your machine. These CD's won't work with a VM.

Even if it does work you are breaking your Windows license agreement by installing Windows on a VM instead of the physical hardware that your copy of Windows is registered to.
    Last edited by Cheesemill; June 2nd, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for all your replies guys.
    Think i'm probably better sticking to dual boot.

Beans

dual booting is better anyway, esp if you want to play games. also you paid for windows, so why get rid of it completely? lol

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cottfcfan View Post
    Thanks for all your replies guys.
    Think i'm probably better sticking to dual boot.
    I run Windows 7 x64 Ultimate in a virtual machine and it is great. But I bought the full retail version. I think you will have to do this, OEM versions wont work properly if at all as they are bound to the hardware.
    There is always a way, but it might not be the best way, or your way!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The problem is it takes out 3 of my 4 primary partitions, and I don't use it enough, to warrant it manipulating my computer to such a degree, so saving the recovery partition (just in case) and then installing it through virtualbox would have been ideal.
    But if it can't be done i'll leave alone.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by traditionalist View Post
    I run Windows 7 x64 Ultimate in a virtual machine and it is great. But I bought the full retail version. I think you will have to do this, OEM versions wont work properly if at all as they are bound to the hardware.
    Afraid I don't use Windows enough to spend money on a new Disc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cottfcfan View Post
    Afraid I don't use Windows enough to spend money on a new Disc.
    This is a fairly common problem. People save money by buying OEM versions of Windows without being aware of the consequences. Unfortunate, but just how it is.

if you want it to work ( and be legal!) then you really need a full retail version. I had the full retail version running on my machine anyway. I have now switched completely to Ubuntu, but I have the 7 running in a VM because I have two programs which require it.

I am not sure of the licensing details here, but I would have thought you could run the recovered disc in a VM ON THE SAME MACHINE without violating any license terms. It is after all still running on the same hardware. I don't know whether it will work but it's worth a try.

Just burn a recovery disc and try it in a virtual machine. You will still need your licence key to install it, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.
    Last edited by traditionalist; June 2nd, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
    There is always a way, but it might not be the best way, or your way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast