Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VirtualBox Question?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: VirtualBox Question?

Quote Originally Posted by cottfcfan View Post
    The problem is it takes out 3 of my 4 primary partitions, and I don't use it enough, to warrant it manipulating my computer to such a degree, so saving the recovery partition (just in case) and then installing it through virtualbox would have been ideal.
    But if it can't be done i'll leave alone.
    Well, you could always use GParted to get rid of all of your unused Windows partitions, including the recovery partition, and move things around to where you can absorb the space into your Ubuntu partition. If you ever need to reinstall Win7, you can always legally download the OEM version of the ISO and reinstall it straight to your hardware, which will work with your license and be legal.

If you do that, make sure to back up all of your important software first. Also, be aware that moving partitions around may cause you to have to restore GRUB.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by traditionalist View Post
    I am not sure of the licensing details here, but I would have thought you could run the recovered disc in a VM ON THE SAME MACHINE without violating any license terms. It is after all still running on the same hardware. I don't know whether it will work but it's worth a try.
    You would think so, but that isn't the case. An OEM copy of Windows is licensed to the physical hardware, which isn't the same as running it on a VM as a VM isn't physical hardware (it's virtual hardware).

Try dealing with the Microsoft licensing terms on a daily basis like I do for some of my clients and you will soon realise how convoluted the terms are
    Last edited by Cheesemill; June 2nd, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    You would think so, but that isn't the case. An OEM copy of Windows is licensed to the physical hardware, which isn't the same as running it on a VM as a VM isn't physical hardware (it's virtual hardware).
    It is still running on the same physical machine, which is what it is licensed for. I can't find anything that specifies it must run on physical hardware. Only on the same physical machine.

If it runs in a VM on the original machine for which it was licensed then I don't see a problem.

But I'm not a lawyer!
    There is always a way, but it might not be the best way, or your way!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Since I was curious, I dug out one of my old OEM licences for one of the older XT boxes where I am now running Ubuntu 12.04. It runs perfectly and it accepted the licence without a problem. I have not yet activated it. I will try that and see what happens. If it is acceptable to Microsoft then that's fair enough I would imagine?

It's my licence purchased with that machine, and it is running on that machine, albeit in a VM on that machine. So where might the problem be?
    Last edited by traditionalist; June 2nd, 2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Image your current Windows partitions before you wipe Windows in case you need it again. Then you can recreate the partitions...just in case. Hard drive space is cheap.

If your going to consider this, use clonezilla or somesuch.

That's what i would do anyway.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is still running on the same physical machine, which is what it is licensed for. I can't find anything that specifies it must run on physical hardware. Only on the same physical machine.

If it runs in a VM on the original machine for which it was licensed then I don't see a problem.

But I'm not a lawyer!
    An OEM copy is only licensed for the first machine it is installed on (which is defined by the manufacturer/model of the motherboard). As a VM presents the Windows OS with a different motherboard than the physical hardware then you are breaking the EULA.
    I know it sounds crazy but that's just the way it is.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

An OEM copy is only licensed for the first machine it is installed on (which is defined by the manufacturer/model of the motherboard). As a VM presents the Windows OS with a different motherboard than the physical hardware then you are breaking the EULA.
    I know it sounds crazy but that's just the way it is.
    It is running on the same machine it was originally licensed for, with all the same hardware. The only difference is that it is running in a VM. I can't find anything prohibiting that. If you use that licence on some other machine in a VM you would be breaking the EULA.

In this case you quite obviously are not.

Extract from EULA;

BEGIN EXTRACT

SOFTWARE PRODUCT LICENSE
    The term "COMPUTER" as used herein shall mean the HARDWARE, if the HARDWARE is a single computer system, or
    shall mean the computer system with which the HARDWARE operates, if the HARDWARE is a computer system
    component.
    1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Manufacturer grants you the following rights, provided you comply with all of the terms and
    conditions of this EULA:
    • Installation and Use. Except as otherwise expressly provided in this EULA, you may install, use, access,
    display and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on the COMPUTER. The SOFTWARE may not be used
    by more than two (2) processors at any one time on the COMPUTER, unless a higher number is indicated on
    the Certificate of Authenticity. You may permit a maximum of ten (10) ("Connection Maximum") computers
    or other electronic devices (each a “Device”) to connect to the COMPUTER to utilize the services of the
    SOFTWARE solely for File and Print services, Internet Information services, and remote access (including
    connection sharing and telephony services). The ten (10) Connection Maximum includes any indirect
    connections made through “multiplexing” or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections.
    Except as otherwise permitted below, you may not use the Device to use, access, display or run the
    SOFTWARE, the SOFTWARE’s User Interface or other executable software residing on the COMPUTER.
    • Software as a Component of the Computer - Transfer. THIS LICENSE MAY NOT BE SHARED,
    TRANSFERRED TO OR USED CONCURRENTLY ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS. The SOFTWARE is
    licensed with the HARDWARE as a single integrated product and may only be used with the HARDWARE. If the
    SOFTWARE is not accompanied by new HARDWARE, you may not use the SOFTWARE. You may permanently
    transfer all of your rights under this EULA only as part of a permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE, provided
    you retain no copies, if you transfer all of the SOFTWARE (including all component parts, the media and printed
    materials, any upgrades, this EULA and the Certificate of Authenticity), and the recipient agrees to the terms of this
    EULA. If the SOFTWARE is an upgrade, any transfer must also include all prior versions of the SOFTWARE.
    • Mandatory Activation. THIS SOFTWARE CONTAINS TECHNOLOGICAL MEASURES THAT ARE
    DESIGNED TO PREVENT UNLICENSED OR ILLEGAL USE OF THE SOFTWARE. The license rights granted
    under this EULA are limited to the first thirty (30) days after you first run the SOFTWARE unless you supply
    information required to activate your licensed copy in the manner described during the setup sequence (unless
    Manufacturer has activated for you). You can activate the SOFTWARE through the use of the Internet or telephone;
    toll charges may apply. You may also need to reactivate the SOFTWARE if you modify your HARDWARE or alter
    the SOFTWARE.
    • Security Updates. Content providers are using the digital rights management technology (“Microsoft DRM”)
    contained in this SOFTWARE to protect the integrity of their content (“Secure Content”) so that their

END EXTRACT

Beans

No, it's not possible I'm afraid. Even if it was you would be breaking the terms of your Windows license agreement.

An OEM copy of Windows (like the one your recovery partition contains) is only licensed to run on the actual hardware. To install a Windows VM you need a full retail copy of Windows and the installation CD that comes with it.
    What is the difference. You are running it on the same physical machine. I've done this with a Win XP and 7 CD from Dell. It works perfectly fine and I had no problems with activation.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Since I was curious, I dug out one of my old OEM licences for one of the older XT boxes where I am now running Ubuntu 12.04. It runs perfectly and it accepted the licence without a problem. I have not yet activated it. I will try that and see what happens. If it is acceptable to Microsoft then that's fair enough I would imagine?

It's my licence purchased with that machine, and it is running on that machine, albeit in a VM on that machine. So where might the problem be?
    XP was a lot more lenient than later versions. It can be done with Win7, too, but it's just about where your conscience is.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    XP was a lot more lenient than later versions. It can be done with Win7, too, but it's just about where your conscience is.
    Doubtless, I have a full retail version of Windows 7 x64 BIT Ultimate running in a VM on this machine, and I have no doubt that an OEM version would run as well. I don't know about licencing that, but I can install my full retail version on any machine I like, as long as I stick to the licence agreement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12