Thread: Switching from Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu Server

Beans

Question Switching from Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu Server

I've never done this kind of switch before. My machine is natively Windows, and has a BIOS. How do I go about doing this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Switching from Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu Server

Quote Originally Posted by julesmazur View Post
    I've never done this kind of switch before. My machine is natively Windows, and has a BIOS. How do I go about doing this?
    if you have ubuntu 11.10 already installed why not just go to the software center and down load the server application if its a webserver search and down load Apache once that is done you can figure out if you need MYSQL and other parts just get what you need ...

all computers have bios not really sure what you are look for in the way of advice there ..

just understand that if you install a server all well and good but work on the server has to be done remotely from another computer for the most part other then installing and updateing the server aplications them selves and reboot and even these things can be done remotly, think of it as your personal cloud service

get the server installed and running you can even romove the keyboard monitor and mouse no need for them on a server at all really ..
    Last edited by jadtech; June 2nd, 2012 at 04:43 AM.

Beans

Question Re: Switching from Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu Server

Will the server application install the exclusively command-line server? The computer I'm going to use is an old machine, and the GPU can't handle Ubuntu's interface.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by julesmazur View Post
    Will the server application install the exclusively command-line server? The computer I'm going to use is an old machine, and the GPU can't handle Ubuntu's interface.
    If you ask about apache/mysql/php/firewall then of course, they it will install just by command line. Did that many times. Not much experience with other server orientated soft but I can't imagine that it would be impossible to install without X loaded.

Beans

Alright, in that case, which server app from the software centre is the one in question? There seem to be dozens of them, most of them manuals and scripts. I can't actually find a concrete Apache server app.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think the title of your thread is confusing. You say switching from ubuntu 11.10 which sounds like it's already running on the machine, but then you say it's an older machine and can't take the GUI of 11.10.

If you are after the server version, download the ISO, burn a cd from that image, and install the server version. Also, it's much better to install 12.04 LTS right now instead of 11.10. That will be a command line only since the server version is CLI.

Otherwise, you can install Apache webserver on ubuntu desktop 11.10 for example, but it will not make it a command line only system. It will still be ubuntu desktop 11.10 with its GUI, only running apache server on it.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit