Thread: Dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 8

I downloaded Windows 8 Release Preview and installed it from scratch on an old computer. It's very smooth and works surprisingly well. Now I want to install Ubuntu 12.04. After booting from a live usb I start the installer, but it doesn't show me any partitions. It just shows a blank 149GB HD. Disk Management in Windows shows the following:

Does Windows 8 use a new GPT partition layout that Ubuntu does not understand?

Computer Specifications:
    CPU: Pentium D 820
    GPU: AMD x1400
    RAM: 3GB DDR2
    MB: Asus P5LD2
    HD: 160GB AHCI
    Last edited by waspinator; June 1st, 2012 at 03:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 8

Hi,

That is a strange think for me. Let me try that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have had gparted not even see my sda drive when my old XP needed chkdsk even though XP would boot. I might try running chkdsk from Windows repair console.

Does this show partitions from liveCD/USB?

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

well I found a work around, but it's not pretty.

1. I booted with an Ubuntu 12.04 USB stick.
    2. Using gparted Ichanged the partition layout from GPT to MBR
    3. Created a new primary partition for Window, and a logical partition for ubuntu
    4. installed ubuntu to the logical partiiton with grub inside the root partition
    5. installed windows 8 to the prepared partiton
    6. installed easybcd
    7. used easybcd to add ubuntu to the windows boot loader.

I actually prefer using easybcd and the windows bootloader now. It's so much easier to change boot options, and it looks less cluttered when booting.

I'm still amazed how well windows 8 runs. It's smoother than ubuntu, and I thought linux was supposed to be light weight. ubuntu seems so slow now. I might have to install windows 8 to bring some older ubuntu computers back to life.

Beans

If you're dual booting, use Wubi. Live-USB I'm almost positive is for COMPLETELY installing Ubuntu and getting rid of Windows. Plus, Wubi is a lot easier. Though, I don't recommend dual booting and the reason being it is very slow because your using almost all your memory. It is all being reserved. Thats what happened to me so I deleted Windows. Ubuntu now works like a charm. Choose one or the other bro.
    Last edited by TheKingOfComputers; June 1st, 2012 at 09:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I might have to install windows 8 to bring some older ubuntu computers back to life.
    Be sure those old computers can use at least 1g of memory.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingOfComputers View Post
    If you're dual booting, use Wubi. Live-USB I'm almost positive is for COMPLETELY installing Ubuntu and getting rid of Windows. Plus, Wubi is a lot easier. Though, I don't recommend dual booting and the reason being it is very slow because your using almost all your memory. It is all being reserved. Thats what happened to me so I deleted Windows. Ubuntu now works like a charm. Choose one or the other bro.
    Live USB/Cd installation is NOT for completely installing Ubuntu and getting rid of windows. Please check what you are saying before you post.

Dual booting - please explain why it will be slower. When you are dual-booting you either boot on or the other. Linux and windows use memory in different ways - check it out.

Choose one or the other bro.
    Is not any help for someone trying to dualboot.