Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu membership - does it need clarification?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu membership - does it need clarification?

Two things seem to come up regularly regarding Ubuntu Member status.

One is what's required to be a Member in the first place.

A fairly typical conversation goes something like this:

OP: I won't be trying for membership because I know that I don't measure up.

Staff member: That is a common misconception

The other, and one that saddens me, is the number of Members asking for their membership to be revoked.

I get the impression that the same thing applies in many of these cases: a belief that some stratospheric standard of excellence is required and that the person concerned doesn't measure up.

I suspect that quite a bit of the problem is vagueness about what the requirements for membership are.

More detail on what's involved in becoming a member and maintaining membership, could be helpful.

Could we have some fictitious profiles of members, so that the rest of us know whether or not there's any point in applying at this stage of our forum lives?

E.g. how many posts is enough? Over what timeframe? Do you need to have some in-depth knowledge of a particular topic or have your favourite project? Or is it enough to be more generally helpful over a period of time?

(Of course, it's ultimately up to the Membership application team to make the decision, and I'm not wanting to question that, but it does give the rest of us some guidance.)

And then, clarify what's expected once one has become a member. Is it about ongoing brilliance? Or is it more about recognition of past work?

I'd like to think that clarifying some of these details might help both prospective and existing Members. (And I don't mind doing a bit of the writing, if it's wanted.)

Even one less person over-burdened by the weight of unrealistic expectations would make it worthwhile, in my view.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu membership - does it need clarification?

Lol, does it really matter?

I don't really see the point of belonging to some 'club'.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post

It matters for some and that is ok
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post

For me it mattered for a few different reasons, not least of which was that becoming a member helped me keep motivated to carry on helping to the best of my ability, even though I use Ubuntu less now than I did before (job changed, need to use Solaris now).

It has also helped me demonstrate my commitment to *nix in general and helped me in work to get on to projects which require greater Linux skills (in an almost entirely Solaris shop).

So it does matter to me.
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    And then, clarify what's expected once one has become a member. Is it about ongoing brilliance? Or is it more about recognition of past work?

After achieving membership, nothing else is required. Just carry on as before. You can become more involved with the wider Ubuntu community should you wish, and that is encouraged, but you do not have to.

It is important to stress that Ubuntu membership is about what you have done not about what you are required or expected to do and no-one should feel any pressure because of it. Becoming a member means you have already reached the standard.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post

It is important to stress that Ubuntu membership is about what you have done not about what you are required or expected to do and no-one should feel any pressure because of it. Becoming a member means you have already reached the standard.
    I'd +1 this sentiment.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    After achieving membership, nothing else is required. Just carry on as before. You can become more involved with the wider Ubuntu community should you wish, and that is encouraged, but you do not have to.

That sums it up pretty nicely.

Thanks Irihapeti for making this thread in order to get some clarification out there.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Irihapeti seems to be referring to membership through forum participation... I thought I'd point out that there are other ways of getting Ubuntu membership as well.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership
    Last edited by Dry Lips; June 1st, 2012 at 04:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I always dream that one day, i can be a member *sigh*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Top reasons that I wanted to become a member

* I wanted to be able to use the name Ubuntu on business cards for me when talking to stores and other places so they would take me more serious

* I wanted the email forwarder for myname@ubuntu.com this is also for marketing Ubuntu.

* I want to Go to UDS next year and I think that this will help.

* I want to keep my-self motivated and always remember that I worked for this.

* I wanted to get involved in a wider range of things and thought that the developers would take me more serious

* I found out that Ubuntu Members Rock and I wanna Rock

* I wanted to show the people here on the forums that I look up to them and that I was happy with what they where doing.

* I found It nice that People vote and say nice things about people on the membership page (my big head)

* Because I wanted to show my mentors that I am learning from them and that they are good mentors by motivating me to go the distance. Really says something about mentors that produce members over and over again.

The other, and one that saddens me, is the number of Members asking for their membership to be revoked.
    This also makes me sad but it also shows that there is movement and that the Ubuntu members are active

More detail on what's involved in becoming a member and maintaining membership, could be helpful

This is kinda like the saying that a mentor told me

"Ubutnu is what you make of it"

meaning that all you need to do is try.
    I did not know what to do and was afraid that if I was to do some things that I would be stepping on others toes or whatever.
    This is so far from the truth.

One thing that I say is
    spruce up your Wiki show off what you have done there (too a point)

launchpad speaks for its self with the karma.

Start a Local Ubuntu Hour advertise about it here on the forums.
    basically do what every you think is a good thing and ask other members like you are is you have questions.

Of course, it's ultimately up to the Membership application team to make the decision, and I'm not wanting to question that, but it does give the rest of us some guidance.)
    For Me This is where I got all my guidance all but one person. that is.

I'd like to think that clarifying some of these details might help both prospective and existing Members. (And I don't mind doing a bit of the writing, if it's wanted.)

I think that nothingspecial nailed this one a few posts back.
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast