Thread: Request for a tool - if any programmer is interested

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Request for a tool - if any programmer is interested

I don't need this tool myself. I was trying to create one based on building a GUI to modify the gnome-shell css file for people who don't know css but want to modify the desktop presented by gnome-shell. Such modifications can create some nice results - see this thread - the last post by cbowman has a jpg that shows how things could look. Apparently there is no gui based tool, outside of just editing the css file by hand, to do this for the common user. I don't have the knowledge or anymore time to waste on it.

Therefore, I'm just presenting this as an opportunity for someone who does know what they are doing to contribute to Ubuntu. It's not for me. You can follow the thread above and post questions, etc., to the people there for more information. I won't be posting in that thread anymore either.

Should be a fun project for someone who knows what they are doing.

BTW - this is the gnome-shell package, not just the gnome shell.

I also won't be posting more to this thread - just trying to get some help for some people who want a tool to help them.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Request for a tool - if any programmer is interested

Nobody? Guess I'll continue on. My program is running and doing what it's supposed to so far. I'll just have to keep doing it if nobody else wants to contribute to ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I am not sure you explained what you needed well enough.

Your original message looked like you wanted someone to write a programme for you, where as your second message implied that you were looking for contributors to add to something you have already written.

I am not sure which you wanted - but expecting people to reply in two days is pretty unrealistic, especially given such a vague description and an even vaguer title.
    Tony - Happy to try to help.
    Unless otherwise stated - all code posted by me is untested. Remember to Mark the Thread as Solved.
    Ubuntu user number # 24044 Projects : TimeWarp - on the fly Backups

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Flury View Post
    I am not sure you explained what you needed well enough.

Your original message looked like you wanted someone to write a programme for you, where as your second message implied that you were looking for contributors to add to something you have already written.

I am not sure which you wanted - but expecting people to reply in two days is pretty unrealistic, especially given such a vague description and an even vaguer title.
    And if you read the first line of my opening thread:

"I don't need this tool myself" it didn't explain that I don't need it? The thread also contained a link to the thread that has all the information in it that they are looking for. Why repeat and create a long thread here?

2 days - considering all the posts I see in the ABF about wanting to "program something" to help ubuntu, I would have thought someone would have replied.

Not to mention it appears I'm a pariah in this particular forum.

Will be asking a mod to close this thread - I don't know WHY you guys here want to make everything a p***ing contest. Doesn't seem in the spirit of ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

closed - OP request