Thread: Windows 8 and Desktop Linux

Beans

Windows 8 and Desktop Linux

I personally think it can only go from 1.8% (right now) to about 2.4%, 2.6% if we're lucky. The reason is Microsoft already achieved a monopoly lock on the operating system market. When they finally realize that they are crazy making Windows 8, they could just go back to promoting Windows 7 like hell, like they did with Vista and XP. And there is a critical lack of content: Netflix, DVD playback, illegal codecs, exotic web plugins (Shockwave, Unity). Plus there is fighting within the Linux community, if you go in the Arch IRC channel and tell them you use ArchBang, they would give you a hard time. And there is a lack of standardization (.deb .rpm .tar).
    Last edited by likevin12896; June 1st, 2012 at 05:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Windows 8 and Desktop Linux

Windows only has the desktop market locked down.

Beans

I know, that's why they could go back to promoting Windows 7.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When support peters out for XP, millions of broke homeys with a need for an OS will file right through the glowing gates of Linux.

We need only wait.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Max Blyss View Post
    When support peters out for XP, millions of broke homeys with a need for an OS will file right through the glowing gates of Linux.

We need only wait.
    How many "average Windows users" will know--or much less care--when support runs out? (until apps stop being made for XP, that is)
    AMD Athlon II x4 640 - ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 - 12GB RAM - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB w/21.5" Monitor - Assorted HDDs - Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120Gb SSD - [ArchLinux - Windows 7 - Mac OS X 10.6.8]
    If all else fails, read the instructions.

Beans
    Hidden!

There are municipalities/countries that start getting fed up with Windows.
    Diversify (with Linux) make the life of Virus writers harder. They cannot write one that fits all like they are used to. I don't understand why a country like Iran keeps sticking with Microsoft.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here's a hopeful sign, suggesting that Microsoft may be shifting from a marketshare-at-any-cost strategy to finally enforcing their license terms:
    http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/05...ices-microsoft

Beans

Cool Re: Windows 8 and Desktop Linux

The (low) market share of Linux (on the desktop) has nothing to do with the quality of the product (better than Windows). It has to do with the monopoly Microsoft has created (Microsoft Office, Windows). Linux theoretically (how it's built) is a better gaming platform. But Windows has 94% market share and people like money, so they won't develop for Linux. And Adobe recently ceased development of Flash for Linux and Google is taking over.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm surprised Google hasn't come up with an operating system that doesn't operate through the browser--i.e. doesn't totally suck.