Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Fedora will pay for a a digital signature from Microsoft.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Fedora will pay for a a digital signature from Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Multiply $99 by say 100 Distros $9900 hardly a lucrative scam.
    Exactly. The fee will rise considerably in the future. The present price (which essentially is zero) is only meant to lessen people's awareness.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

outrageous !!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Exactly. The fee will rise considerably in the future. The present price (which essentially is zero) is only meant to lessen people's awareness.
    If that were the case the fee now would be zero thus awareness near zero. I do not see large if any fee increases, my dealings with MSFT do not give me any reason for concern.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If anything, it will stop Microsoft repaying the fees to those people who bought machines with Win xxx preloaded, then installed a Linux OS as the only OS on that machine (yes you can do that at the moment and reclaim money from Microsoft)
    I can certainly see that this secure boot will curtail our choice of OS in the future.
    Just think on a bit,, In 5 yrs time, your computer finally gives up the ghost. You go down the High St and buy a new machine. What OS choice do you have? Windows/ Apple/ Fedora. That looks like the only choices you'll have, unless Canonical decide to dig deep and pay $99 for a key (I'm sure this is just loose change to Mark Shuttleworth)

But,, What happens , when a few years down the line, Microsoft decide that the key will now cost $xxx per machine? (and I can see this happening) Ubuntu and any other Linux OS certainly won't be free.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes, that's where we are heading

At this step the purpose is not to profit, it is to get the idea of payment accepted and break the free-as-in-beer principle.

Later Microsoft (or an associate) can claim: The Free Software people have chosen Restricted Boot but don't pay but a fraction of the development costs.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Question Re: Fedora will pay for a a digital signature from Microsoft.

This means nothing, the more Microsoft invests in their bootloader to nab them market share and even more money, the more people will get annoyed at them epecially now that the bootloader has already been cracked... Safe my ***... Why would I pay 99 quid for something that was so easily bypassed...

http://arstechnica.com/business/2011...8-secure-boot/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    I guess Ubuntu will have to pay up to Microsoft as well.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...rtificate.html
    never expected that the Fedora would have to pay to Microsoft! As far as I see , there would be some legit reason behind this deal!

Beans
    Hidden!

My question is this. Why does anyone need to pay Microsoft anything? Why isn't the database and requirements being handled by the hardware vendors creating the motherboards or at the very least a third party?!

Why does the makers of an operating system need to pay a "rival" creator of an operating system to install their OS on third party hardware that has zero to do with either of the creators of said operating systems?!

That is just plain stupid, and ridiculously biased.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    My question is this. Why does anyone need to pay Microsoft anything? Why isn't the database and requirements being handled by the hardware vendors creating the motherboards or at the very least a third party?!

Why does the makers of an operating system need to pay a "rival" creator of an operating system to install their OS on third party hardware that has zero to do with either of the creators of said operating systems?!

That is just plain stupid, and ridiculously biased.

Not sure this is correct, doesn't the money go to Verisign ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Not sure this is correct, doesn't the money go to Verisign ?
    Read another story on it now and I see it is Verisign that gets the cash... but Windows that does the signing...

So rephrase my earlier rant and basically; Why Microsoft sign for Linux?!

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast