Thread: Question about ssh public keys on server

Beans

Question Question about ssh public keys on server

I want to have two or three clients on my LAN with access to my OpenSSH server on Ubuntu. Two of these are Mac OSX, one is Win 7 using Putty. I already have one of the Macs set up and accessing my server using the generated key.

My question is, does each client have to use the same private/public key pair, or can each one generate its own and copy each public key to the server host?

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Re: Question about ssh public keys on server

Cat each public key into the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file for the server user/account each person wants to log in as. That file can contain multiple public keys.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Question about ssh public keys on server

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    Cat each public key into the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file for the server user/account each person wants to log in as. That file can contain multiple public keys.
    Thank you.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Unhappy Re: Question about ssh public keys on server

Later - It was a pain to get the public key generated by PuttyGen into a format that works with OpenSSH server, but not too difficult after finding instructions to do so.

Why on earth does PuttyGen create a key that is not usable? Beyond that, why do they make you search for the instructions to fix it instead of just telling you in their docs?

Anyway, I have it fixed.

Tim
    Last edited by ratcheer; June 3rd, 2012 at 01:26 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Please mark thread as solved.
    Ubuntu Christian Edition chat on irc at server: OFTC/channel: #ubuntuCE
    BootInfoScript DualBooting
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra and ghulselmans

Beans

Red face Re: Question about ssh public keys on server

Quote Originally Posted by stlsaint View Post
    Please mark thread as solved.
    Sorry. I thought I had already done it.

Tim

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Later - It was a pain to get the public key generated by PuttyGen into a format that works with OpenSSH server, but not too difficult after finding instructions to do so.

Why on earth does PuttyGen create a key that is not usable? Beyond that, why do they make you search for the instructions to fix it instead of just telling you in their docs?

Anyway, I have it fixed.

Tim
    I have always generated the keys on the server and converted them to putty keys instead of the other way around.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...