Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headless or Desktop version for server ?

Beans

Headless or Desktop version for server ?

Hi, It's time for me to rebuild my server from scratch. I'm used to the Graphical Desktop version so the headless version is a bit daunting. Anyway...HERE is the question..... Is the headless version so much more secure that it's worth giving up all the graphical interfaces? Or should I just go back with the Desktop version again and try to be more careful? (I got haxed). thx

Beans

Re: Headless or Desktop version for server ?

I guess it depends on how you were "haxed". If you're lax about security on the Server Edition, you can easily get "haxed".

Both versions of Ubuntu ship with about the same level of security - no open ports, no running services, etc.

However, as soon as you start installing services they open ports automatically. So you'll definitely want to run a simple software firewall to ensure you are only opening what you expect to open. Hardware firewalls are also a good idea - I wouldn't put the server directly on the internet unless I had no other choice. Then I'd probably run smoothwall or something more powerful than a basic software firewall.

So please, elaborate on how you were "haxed" and we can perhaps help nudge you in the right direction on how to properly secure your system. Both the Desktop and Server editions can be secured in similar manners. The Server Edition is perhaps more secure because it doesn't have a GUI (less packages to update, break; fewer attack vectors...) but in reality the security differences between the two platforms are pretty minimal.

To sum up - if you aren't careful with security, you can just as easily be hacked on the Server Edition as you can on the Desktop Edition. Neither edition is 'hack-proof'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: Headless or Desktop version for server ?

First off,

What, who and how were you "haxed"?

Secondly,
    A headless server is recommended pretty much 10 times out of 10 in the linux world as most of the common exploits are in video drivers or "x session" forwards.

2 years ago I asked the same question and I went headless and hacked away at the terminal and found that navigating command line in the terminal was 90% easier than using a UI for doing my tasks. In the *nix world (aside from Windows server), a UI really is seen as a crutch.

The last thing I say is you should have a good knowledge of IP Tables, Shorewall or UFW before you just throw up your next server so you know exactly what is going in or out of your server at all times.

Beans

I think I was acceptably careful and vigilant EXCEPT for ONE thing....UPDATES.

I have to admit I was very bad with doing updates and I'm thinking there's a high probability they got me that way. Sometimes I would go months between updates. Going forward, I'll turn on automatic updates.

Or..I installed a package that left the door open. I run a Watchguard Firebox in front of the server and it's tightened down pretty tight also.

My security consisted of ipblock (with a custom list of thousands of sites including all major proxies and hundreds of lesser known proxies. I also have a paid subscription that sends me about 150 newly discovered proxies daily and I add those daily.)
    I also block all countries except for Canada and Australia because there is nothing on my server relevant to other countries.

fail2ban with all the usual filters plus a few.

A Watchguard Firebox hardware firewall that perma-blocks any attempt to connect to ANY port other than 80 or 443 instantly. plus provides the normal hardware firewall security such as packet filtering, spoofing detection, icmp attacks, MIM attacks and a host of other tricks.

Firestarter
    set to block ALL outgoing packets.

So, however they did it, they did it via port 443 or 80.

For a long time here I had posted that my server was acting suspiciously but noone here believed it. Finally I got proof in the form of a obviously edited fail2ban jail.conf file where the haxor added an IP address to all the filters to exempt attacks from that IP address.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Their thread on the "haxing" is here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1989899

Headless server > GUI on a server for more than that just security.

Less packages = less attack surface and not having a GUI means you need less resources to run the box.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by starz677 View Post
    I think I was acceptably careful and vigilant EXCEPT for ONE thing....UPDATES.

I have to admit I was very bad with doing updates and I'm thinking there's a high probability they got me that way. Sometimes I would go months between updates. Going forward, I'll turn on automatic updates.

Or..I installed a package that left the door open. I run a Watchguard Firebox in front of the server and it's tightened down pretty tight also.

My security consisted of ipblock (with a custom list of thousands of sites including all major proxies and hundreds of lesser known proxies. I also have a paid subscription that sends me about 150 newly discovered proxies daily and I add those daily.)
    I also block all countries except for Canada and Australia because there is nothing on my server relevant to other countries.

fail2ban with all the usual filters plus a few.

A Watchguard Firebox hardware firewall that perma-blocks any attempt to connect to ANY port other than 80 or 443 instantly. plus provides the normal hardware firewall security such as packet filtering, spoofing detection, icmp attacks, MIM attacks and a host of other tricks.

Firestarter
    set to block ALL outgoing packets.

So, however they did it, they did it via port 443 or 80.

For a long time here I had posted that my server was acting suspiciously but noone here believed it. Finally I got proof in the form of a obviously edited fail2ban jail.conf file where the haxor added an IP address to all the filters to exempt attacks from that IP address.
    I can help you with that.

Do this: (open up a terminal and run sudo nano, past in the code below)
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash  
      # A script to run Aptitude and install any upgrades automatically. 
      # Add this to /etc/cron.daily to run the script every 24 hours. 

# This prevents "TERM is not set, so the dialog frontend is not usable." error
      PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin"

aptitude update
      aptitude safe-upgrade -y
      aptitude autoclean
    Once completed hit ctrl+x to exit and save changes. Save the file as: autoupdate.sh

Do a ls -al to see your newly created file and permissions:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 361 2011-09-22 09:08 autoupdate.sh

You'll notice that this is not executable by default. In order for CRON to use this, we must make it executable for the Root user.

*NOTE* - If the bash script does not list (root | root) as it does in the ls -al command below run the following command:
    sudo chown root:root autoupdate.sh
    This changes group and user ownership to the Root group and Root user. By default, Root (Group and User) should own this bash script.

Type: sudo chmod +x autoupdate.sh
    Run another command of: ls -al
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 361 2011-09-22 09:08 autoupdate.sh

Notice--- Permissions have been updated.

Lastly, we move the bash script to the CRON folder(s).
    sudo mv autoupdate.sh /etc/cron.daily

Want to check the logs to make sure that this is running? Run this command:
    sudo tail -n 30 /var/log/aptitude (Adjust the #30 by the number of lines you'd like to see listed on the tail)

Example of this:
    ================================================== =============================
    [UPGRADE] apt 0.7.25.3ubuntu9.5 -> 0.7.25.3ubuntu9.6
    [UPGRADE] apt-transport-https 0.7.25.3ubuntu9.5 -> 0.7.25.3ubuntu9.6
    [UPGRADE] apt-utils 0.7.25.3ubuntu9.5 -> 0.7.25.3ubuntu9.6
    [UPGRADE] landscape-common 11.02-0ubuntu0.10.04.1 -> 11.07.1.1-0ubuntu0.10.04.0
    [UPGRADE] linux-headers-2.6.32-33 2.6.32-33.70 -> 2.6.32-33.72
    [UPGRADE] linux-headers-2.6.32-33-server 2.6.32-33.70 -> 2.6.32-33.72
    [UPGRADE] linux-image-2.6.32-33-server 2.6.32-33.70 -> 2.6.32-33.72
    [UPGRADE] python-apt 0.7.94.2ubuntu6.2 -> 0.7.94.2ubuntu6.4
    [UPGRADE] tzdata 2011g-0ubuntu0.10.04 -> 2011j-0ubuntu0.10.04
    ================================================== =============================

To check for a specific package update for aptitude:
    sudo cat /var/log/aptitude | grep -A 20 -B 20 php5 (this looks for the php5 package update).
    All of my web servers run the unattended package update and I check the logs regularly. Hope that gives you some confidence in them getting patched automatically if you use a GUI based server.
    Last edited by pctx; June 1st, 2012 at 12:33 AM.

Beans

Super pctx

will do this

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Their thread on the "haxing" is here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1989899

Headless server > GUI on a server for more than that just security.

Less packages = less attack surface and not having a GUI means you need less resources to run the box.
    With a Desktop server, I like to sometimes glance at the ipblocks that have occurred so I can get a feel for who's trying to get on the server and the frequency. I also sometimes use Etherape to see certain things.

I'm so used to having all those graphical tools that NOT having them will seem like driving a car blindfolded. How do you guys get a "Real Time" feel for what;s going on in terms of intrusions with a headless server?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by pctx View Post
    I can help you with that.
    It would be easier to just use the unattended-upgrades package.

Quote Originally Posted by starz677 View Post
    With a Desktop server, I like to sometimes glance at the ipblocks that have occurred so I can get a feel for who's trying to get on the server and the frequency. I also sometimes use Etherape to see certain things.

I'm so used to having all those graphical tools that NOT having them will seem like driving a car blindfolded. How do you guys get a "Real Time" feel for what;s going on in terms of intrusions with a headless server?
    Code:
    tail /var/log/auth.log
    Or:

Code:
    grep sshd /var/log/auth.log | less
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    It would be easier to just use the unattended-upgrades package.

Code:
    tail /var/log/auth.log
    Or:

Code:
    grep sshd /var/log/auth.log | less
    I agree and I do. I updated my post to reflect that this was on the assumption that he was going to use a GUI based server again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast