Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux installation on Acer Aspire One D270

Beans

Re: Linux installation on Acer Aspire One D270

Hi,

here is my workaroung for the brightness issue. Not exactly a clean or safest one but it works.. if someone finds a better way I would happily learn how.

1. SUID the executable /usr/bin/setpci:

Code:
    sudo chmod 4755 /usr/bin/setpci
    2. Create a ~/.backlight directory and copy the contents of the included archive into it.

3. Copy the contents of profile_added_lines.txt to the end of your ~/.profile (you can then delete the txt file).

In the file current_value.txt there is a hex value for the actual brightness setting which range from 00 to ff. The scripts up.sh and down.sh actually increase or decrease the currently set value and update the brightness level via the setpci command. This way can be stored any desired value of brightness and it is even held after reboot.

4. add two custom shortcuts in your keyboard setting with the following commands:

Code:
    bash -c "$HOME/.backlight/up.sh"
    Code:
    bash -c "$HOME/.backlight/down.sh"
    5. Associate keyboard shortcuts with the newly created ones. Warning: the standard FN+[LEFT] and FN+[RIGHT] do not work, I use CTRL+SHIFT+[LEFT] and CTRL+SHIFT+[RIGHT] instead, but whatever..

Hope this helps to someone.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kuni; June 10th, 2012 at 01:37 PM.

Beans

danke kuni! hat mir sehr geholfen.
    allerding musste ich den code modifizieren. ging bei mir nicht so

Code:
    bash "/home/benutzername/.backlight/up.sh"
    Code:
    bash "/home/benutzername/.backlight/down.sh"

Beans

i got ubunt 12.04 running on acer d270. slower than my old D250 on every operating system (ubuntu 10.04, windows xp) have not tried the hdmi port. sd card works fine under 12.04 but random permenet cut out under 10.04. most things worked out of the box. (i think. cant remember)

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Linux installation on Acer Aspire One D270

I am a new to linux. I removed the Linpus linux that came along with ACER AOD270 Atom N2600, Intel GMA3600. It runs on Cedar Trail platform (I am not a techee) and intel has incorporated the drivers with their own linux distro Meego 1.2. I ve tried Ubuntu 12.04 and after installing couldn't adjust the brightness. But after updating it showed to install additional drivers and installed the Cedarview drivers. Those crashed after some time, without much problems and Now I am very happy with Linuxmint13. Searched the synaptic for cedar and installed 4 softwares for cedartrial and cedarview and I played a movie 1920x800 nicely. For adjusting brighness , the Fn+ arrow keys worked well. Additional brighness reduction was achieved with RedshiftGUI

Beans

Just as a short info. The following link solved the brightness problem for me nicely (Aspire One D270 with Kubuntu 12.10):

http://www.refreshit.info/2012/08/so...-decrease.html

PS: The registration process of this forum sucks...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I was planning to buy Acer Aspire One D270 within a few days and as everybody installs linux on their netbook I was also planning to do that.

Now, my question is how is Acer's hardware compatibility with linux and specifically in respect to the new Acer Aspire One D270.

GMA3600
    and PowerVR sucks and not just with Linux. I have ASUS 1015CX. Getting the 'perfect' resolution is not an issue with Linux default open source drivers (mesa, fbdev etc). The problem is when you need to or want to use Hardware Acceleration.

Playing HD video is out of the question. Well to tell you the truth, even in Windows 7, for which the drivers are available, is not at all a great experience to watch HD video, to say the least.

So if you are not keen to play HD videos on this machine (Acer/Asus), then I'd say it a nifty little machine.

Oh, by the way, Acer D270 and Asus 1015CX have exact same specifications except that Asus has a "non-glare" LED display.
    Last edited by fantab; January 6th, 2013 at 02:45 AM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

In fact, there were some Intel GMA 3600 problems. What I learned from my experience is Ubuntu 12.04 is the best option at the moment. Anything newer than 12.04 was not good enough. And upgrading all the modules and installing recommended additional video driver seem to be bad choices. I just upgraded only things not related to hardware. But, anyway, I still can not use 3D acceleration, and I don't think external video output is working well either.

There are brightness problem and suspend/sleep/wake problem, too. The brightness was too weak and I couldn't control with my keyboard. I had to type a command(sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=40) to adjust the brightness. I put this command in a script for automation. And the waking up the system from a sleep did not work at first. I had to type a command(sudo pm-suspend --quirk-dpms-on) to make it sleep properly. I made a file to add a code to do this whenever I close my computer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12