Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asus N76, Ubuntu 12.04 and functional keys

Beans

Re: Asus N76, Ubuntu 12.04 and functional keys

Hey,

I have a N76 VZ as well but I can not get Ubuntu or any other linux running. The problem is that the live cd only shows the grub menu, then when I try to boot ubuntu it shows only a black screen. I have tried nomodeset and acpi=off but no success.

How did you install on your N67? Thanks for you help.

Tom

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sirwhistler View Post
    Hey,

I have a N76 VZ as well but I can not get Ubuntu or any other linux running. The problem is that the live cd only shows the grub menu, then when I try to boot ubuntu it shows only a black screen. I have tried nomodeset and acpi=off but no success.

How did you install on your N67? Thanks for you help.

Tom
    ive succesfully installed ubuntu, ubuntu-studio, and dreamstudio 12.04 and 12.10 usb sticks using unetbootin. no mods, standard worked.

Beans

Wink Re: Asus N76, Ubuntu 12.04 and functional keys

Dear broken plastic,

thanks for the reply. It is good to know that I can be done using standard ways. I am currently running Mint in a Virtual Box on Win 8 what is quite convenient but not the same as a real install.

I will have another shot at it soon. Again thanks.

Beans

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about buying an Ausus N76. Since I use Ubuntu 90% of the time I would like to know if you managed to get get everything running in the end? I would really appreciate if you could share your experience.

Is there anything that's still not working? E.g. Keyboard backlight, Webcam, Instant-On function ...

Thank you very much,
    Fabian

Beans

Maybe this will work for subwoofer: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ASUS_N55SF#Audio

When I run alsamixer, I see "bass speaker" bar which controls external woofer volume. However, I'm using one year old ubuntu 12.04 instalation moved from my old N55SF notebook and I don't remember all steps I did. So, sombody must verify it ...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hey all

Just got my ASUS N76VZ with 256GB SSD and 750GB HDD (http://ch.asus.com/de/Notebooks/Mult...specifications) and searched for solution about just installing Kubuntu 12.10..
    How to get it work:
    . go into bios: Start Notebook, press ESC until boot menu appears and then choose "Enter Setup"
    . disable Secure Boot: Bios / Security / Secure Boot Control (at bottom)
    . enable CSM: Bios / Boot / Launch CSM
    . switch to IDE instead of AHCI mode: Bios / Advanced / SATA Configuration / SATA Mode Selection

Now boot from LiveUSB Kubuntu 12.10 and choose "Try Ubuntu".
    Now you need to rewrite partition table on SSD and HDD with partitionmanager
    . start konsole and run: sudo partitionmanager
    . right click the SDD 256GB and select "new partition table"
    . do same on the 750GB HD

Now you can install kubuntu and choose the 256GB SSD as installation destination... I do so, cause i use the 750GB for all data...

If all above is done.. after 5-10min, kubuntu main installation done YES..

Checkout this Help too, if there are boot problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Thats all Yeah!

cheers
    thomi

Beans

I've got a brand new Asus N76VZ running Ubuntu 12.10. Everything worked out of the box, except the (cable) NIC, brightness keys and the subwoofer.

The NIC can be added manually since it's in development and not yet included in the kernel. I tried some suggestions for the subwoofer but can live without it. But the brightness is just annoying. As far as I know, there is no solution at the moment but fortunatelly, there is a work around.

Just install the brightness icon as described here

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/b...control-ubuntu

Beans

Brightness keys are working in 13.04.

Beans

I can buy the N76vb new for a really interesting price (successor is the n750) but would like to know whether the backlight keyboard problems and all the rest has been solved now with Ubuntu 13.10 (I will be running Linux Mint 16 which is based on Ubuntu 13.10) ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
    I can buy the N76vb new for a really interesting price (successor is the n750) but would like to know whether the backlight keyboard problems and all the rest has been solved now with Ubuntu 13.10 (I will be running Linux Mint 16 which is based on Ubuntu 13.10) ?
    the f3/f4 problems are solved. my biggest gripe is that it is still a mess to install the nvidia drivers, although i have not tried the newest driver. im personally using 12.04 lts as my main os because i somehow managed to get the then nvidia driver working and cuda installed so i could use the gpu as a cad renderer. havent tried to see whether the subwoofer, hdmi, or vga work. card reader works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12