Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Humble Bundle V is now out

Beans

For those of you playing Psychonauts...

For those of you playing Psychonauts who want gamepad support, you should check out this bug report on icculus's site and download the patch.

Believe me, Psychonauts is a lot easier with a gamepad.

The patch is also supposed to fix some game crashes.

Beans

Re: For those of you playing Psychonauts...

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    For those of you playing Psychonauts who want gamepad support...
    Now that you bring up the question of gamepads...I'm waiting to download the games (which I purchased yesterday) until I get my new Gazelle, and I've been wondering what would be my best bet in terms of a gamepad.

I would be very appreciative if you or anyone else would like to give advice on what would be the best gamepad to get to use with games on Ubuntu? Where "best" = "most likely to work on the widest range of games" or at least "easiest to get to work for a greater variety of games (for a not-very-technically-inclined user)."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkintuit View Post
    Now that you bring up the question of gamepads...I'm waiting to download the games (which I purchased yesterday) until I get my new Gazelle, and I've been wondering what would be my best bet in terms of a gamepad.

I would be very appreciative if you or anyone else would like to give advice on what would be the best gamepad to get to use with games on Ubuntu? Where "best" = "most likely to work on the widest range of games" or at least "easiest to get to work for a greater variety of games (for a not-very-technically-inclined user)."
    I use a couple MadCatz generic X-box controllers. I think I bought them at either Walmart or Target. I use them for all my PC games that take controllers, plus my emulated console games (Game Cube games with Dolphin, PSX games with pcsx-r, Nintendo 64 with Mupen+, etc.). I haven't had any problems, but YMMV.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Humble Bundle V is now out

I always played with PSX gamepad clones and they all worked out of the box (except for the rumble, which isn't supported). BTW, there's a thread about gamepads in 12.04 on Ask Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    Personally, I think it's better to appreciate the fact that Canonical is working with the Humble Bundle guys to make these great games available in the USC. I'm willing to be patient. However, I realize that not everyone has the same perspective that I have, and some insist upon looking every gift horse in the mouth.
    I agree completely. Let's not forget that this is the first Humble Bundle with USC support. In the future, things will surely improve and the devs will have more experience, so maybe on the next bundle we'll get first-day support, but right now that's just not possible. We must be patient. It will pay out in the end.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkintuit View Post
    In my belief, your best bet would be a wired (you can get wireless, but I think you need a dongle) XBox 360 controller. The reason is that these things are so damn pervasive, that if a game doesn't work with it I don't know what gamepad would. They've also been continually manufactured for over 5 years, and sold throughout the world. If you say "360 controller", everyone knows what you're talking about. Super Meat Boy even starts the game with a picture of one of them.
    They're also easy to get and decent gamepads in their own right with all the triggers and buttons you'd expect from a current generation gamepad.

Beans

I always use a PS2 controller with a USB adapter. The adapters are cheap on Amazon, the controllers are easy to find and usually fairly cheap, and they are extremely good controllers too, some of the best ever made. Sony is still using the same design (mostly) on the PS3, if it ain't broke don't fix it A PS3 controller (over USB or Bluetooth) works just as well.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

Thanks for all the feedback on my game controller question. Much appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by isaacj87 View Post
    At this point, it's probably for the best that Psychonauts is not available in the USC! Icculus recently put out a patch to fix some of the major crashes (e.g. the game would crash before every cutscene); however, the game still crashes/hard freezes regularly. I don't know how it is for others, but it's unplayable for me.
    That's pretty much my experience with Psychonauts. I want to play it, but it crashes regularly. There's no point wasting any more time with it till it gets fixed.

The other four games work great (for me, at least).
    =======================
    Futz's Microcontrollers & Robotics
    =======================

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmanite View Post
    to be honest i'm really disappointed.

no sound in limbo

psychonauts keeps crashing

bastion doesn't work at all
    i've installed it to my home directory, tried the libXi tweak, even running it from the terminal. no luck.
    the only thing i get is the following error message:

all the other humble bundles were stable but this one really sucks!

The promt is telling you that dont have access to the the path "/home/hannes/games/Bastion/Content/720p/PlayerBase.pkg"

Solve it typing in shell:

"sudo chmod -R 777 /home/hannes/games/Bastion/"

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast